Dual Booting on Acer Nitro 5

rijalsandeshraj
rijalsandeshraj Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited October 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello everyone! I have recently bought Acer Nito 5 [AN515-53-55G9] and wish to dual boot on the laptop. Windows is pre-installed and I want to use Ubuntu for my programming purposes but I failed after a lot of attempts. I made a partition of 100 GB on my main OS drive containing Windows to make space for Ubuntu installation. The laptop came with 238 GB SSD drive. But for some reasons, the partition is not showing up during the installation from a bootable drive. I have performed required steps before dual boot: turned off fast startup, turned off secure boot. Please provide a solution to this. I would be really grateful.

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good afternoon rijalsandeshraj !

Does your model have Optane memory?
    Is the version of Ubuntu you are using is x64?
    Is the SSD in GPT format?
    Has the pendrive been created with support for UEFi in GPT format?

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• rijalsandeshraj

Tinkerer

Hello! Thank you for the reply. Yes, I am trying to install Ubuntu of 64 bit and SSD is in GPT format and the pendrive has also been made for gpt partition with UEFI enabled using Rufus. But, how do I check if my model has an Optane memory? I think it does not have that memory.
  • MaClane
    Try to perform a new installation with another pendrive.
    Are you using a correct USB 2.0 port?
    Try also another distribution, like Debian, Mint or Manjaro.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• rijalsandeshraj

Tinkerer

I am installing it from a USB 3.0 port. Will the port matter? Once I will try to make another bootable USB and retry. Will be updating the progress later. Thank you so much for the support.
  • MaClane
    It makes a difference yes.
    By default, USB 3.0 does not have a single driver.
    In this way it would be necessary for the ISO to have all internally, which is not feasible.
    So the installation is done through a 2.0 port.
    So try again post here!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• rijalsandeshraj

Tinkerer

Installing Ubuntu as a dual boot was a real disaster. I had to uninstall it by formatting the whole partition on the hard disk. Everything went well but wifi didn't work. I tried reinstalling the windows but it didn't work too. Now, I am afraid of trying a dual boot on this device. Now, I want only Windows working well on this device and focus on programming.
    I updated Windows and updated all the drivers using Driver Easy application. It worked. But wifi connection is not as default. How do I fix this? Please help me. Also, the blue light indicator on the right side of Acer Nitro 5 [AN515-53] is always on. I think it's because something is wrong with the regular wifi connection. Please suggest me a good fix.
  • DockturTodd
    DockturTodd Member Posts: 3 New User
    @rijalsandeshraj I messed up my WiFi too. I had to revert back to the former version of my WiFi adapter update. This was because I manually installed an update when Windows Update would not let me. 
  • rijalsandeshraj

Tinkerer

Updating Windows and all the drivers worked for me. I will never perform a dual boot on Acer laptop.
  • MaClane
    Updating Windows and all the drivers worked for me. I will never perform a dual boot on Acer laptop.

This is a very misleading statement.
    I have a Nitro 5 with Boot-Multiplo (Windows 10 1809, Kali Linux OS, Windows 7 Ultimate and Kubuntu 19.04) and all systems work perfectly without any problems.

Multiple operating system installation in absolutely nothing has to do with a developer, be it Acer, Asus, Del, Lenovo, etc ...

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• rahulpareek9250
    rahulpareek9250 Member Posts: 119 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    MaClane said:

I have a Nitro 5 with Boot-Multiplo (Windows 10 1809, Kali Linux OS, Windows 7 Ultimate and Kubuntu 19.04) and all systems work perfectly without any problems.

Multiple operating system installation in absolutely nothing has to do with a developer, be it Acer, Asus, Del, Lenovo, etc ...

will any problem will be caused to dual booting linux when windows update are installed
  • MaClane
    MaClane said:

will any problem will be caused to dual booting linux when windows update are installed
    Only if you lack knowledge.
    And even if some Windows update interferes with Grub, just reformulate it with disk in live mode.
    Nothing that a little knowledge does not solve

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• rijalsandeshraj

Tinkerer

MaClane said:

Hello! Got to read your comment. I don't know why there is only UEFI boot mode on my laptop. Legacy boot mode is not available in the BIOS. I am assuming that due to unavailability of legacy BIOS mode, I got problems during dual booting. Or I may not be fully known for dual booting in UEFI boot mode. I am happy with my Windows and excited about upcoming Linux kernel in Windows. The good thing is that I don't have to waste much time thinking about other aspects rather than programming.
  • MaClane
    The legacy mode is already obsolete and is gradually being withdrawn.
    Official support ends in 2020.
    In all current operating systems it is possible to install in UEFi (any Linux distribution).

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• Arnabmactavish
    Arnabmactavish Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    Its your SATA mode in BIOS change it ACHI. It will work then
  • Surya80
    Surya80 Member Posts: 1 New User
    MaClane said:

Sir, can you write a short article on how to dual boot Windows with Ubuntu 19.10 on Acer Nitro 5. I think it will very much help the Linux community in general. Thank you :)

• kathir
    kathir Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

Hey guys i solved it .
    Thereby i installed linux over windows 10 in nitro 5 and successfully boot into it.
    Here is the clear guide of how I did this..
    https://medium.com/@kathirvelk/is-linux-installation-alongside-windows-a-nightmare-in-acer-nitro-5-8f142dfda32f
  • Golam
    Golam Member Posts: 1 New User
    kathir said:
    Hey guys i solved it .
    Thereby i installed linux over windows 10 in nitro 5 and successfully boot into it.
    Here is the clear guide of how I did this..
    https://medium.com/@kathirvelk/is-linux-installation-alongside-windows-a-nightmare-in-acer-nitro-5-8f142dfda32f
    Thanks for writing an elaborate response. I removed Windows 10, installed Debian Linux on it. I want to revert back to Windows 10 only. I could not do it in acer nitro 5. Also in the BIOS setting, the boot oder looks gibberish, some Chinese or Japanese writing. So my questions are

1) How to flash the bios to factory settings 2) how to do clean Windows 10 installation?

• gawells
    gawells Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

I had similar problems on my Acer Predator Helios, trying to dual boot the pre-loaded windows and a Manjaro installation on an ssd from a previous laptop. First disable secure boot (or add the efi to the secure boot db) and then temporarily switch the SATA mode to AHCI to update GRUB. The following worked for me:

- Set admin password and switch off Secure boot (in boot tab) in BIOS
    - Change SATA mode to AHCI from "RST premium" in BIOS
    - Reboot with Manjaro live usb
    - Select .efi from the installed Manjaro distro to boot
    - Open terminal, the m.2 drive should now be visible in /dev/nvm*
    - Generate new GRUB config in /boot/grub
    - Check that resulting config has a windows entry
    - Run grub install
    - Reboot into BIOS
    - Change SATA mode back to RST
    - Set boot order to put the Manjaro ssd first (remove live usb)
    - Should now boot into grub, with both Manjaro and Windows options working (but you won't be able to mount your windows partition from linux)

Try not to boot into windows when SATA mode is still AHCI, it tries to do a repair installation. No damage done in my case but I don't know how safe this is.
    Hope this helps

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,731 Pathfinder
    edited December 2019
    Hello everyone! I have recently bought Acer Nito 5 [AN515-53-55G9] and wish to dual boot on the laptop. Windows is pre-installed and I want to use Ubuntu for my programming purposes but I failed after a lot of attempts. I made a partition of 100 GB on my main OS drive containing Windows to make space for Ubuntu installation. The laptop came with 238 GB SSD drive. But for some reasons, the partition is not showing up during the installation from a bootable drive. I have performed required steps before dual boot: turned off fast startup, turned off secure boot. Please provide a solution to this. I would be really grateful.
    1. You can try getting Ubuntu installed onto an external SSD/USB via a the USB port and connect to it.
    2. I too tend to use Linux at times, though not all the time, and have myself a VM for the same. My laptop has 16 GB RAM and 8 cores. I created a Linux VM with 4 cores and 8 GB RAM. For now this suffices for me; and if i need more RAM I can push this to to use 12 GB RAM (4 GB is enough for Windows OS when doing just VM) or add some more RAM to laptop. This way i don't need to bother about all drivers and such. Also windows 10 is very bad in terms of dual booting OSes.
    There may be some folks who got both working, but personally, I didn't want to explore those options since I use Windows more than Linux. Plus I do not know how well this will fare when a windows 10 feature update kicks in.
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve