Acer Predator Orion 3000 P03 600

pf2303
pf2303 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited February 15 in 2019 Archives
I purchased this for my gaming. It has 16GB Optane memory so if I purchased 32GB optane memory would I see an improvement overall. 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,779 Trailblazer
    If it were mine, I'd probably immediately replace the HDD with an SSD for a more cost effective and noticeable improvement overall. Examples https://www.crucial.com/usa/en/compatible-upgrade-for/Acer/predator-orion-3000
    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,453 Trailblazer
    There are several models of the PO3-600. Which do you have? They come with different HDD/SDDs and different memory configurations, as well as with different GPUs and CPUs.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    If it came with an optane card, it's likely an HDD or hybrid. An SSD gains nothing from optane. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• pf2303

Tinkerer

Thanks for help. This is my system. 
  • pf2303

Tinkerer

This is the hdd
  • JackE
    I'm not sure what you have there. Looks like a 500GB 2.5" SSD C : drive . And a 1TB m.2 card D : drive. I'd like to see what the BIOS info tab looks like. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• pf2303

Tinkerer

The 1tb hdd is not m2 its just a normal hdd but a bit laggy on games. That's why I thought upgrading the optane to 32gb. My memory is 16gb and I don't know if two 16s would be better
  • JackE
    Is it possible to show screenshots of the BIOS Advanced & Boot tabs? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• pf2303

Tinkerer

Is this ok
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Intel Optane can only accelerate only one SATA drive at a time, so maybe the drive you have the games installed on is not the one that is being accelerated by the Optane. If that is the case open iRST and from windows and select the drive that you wish to use with optane.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• JackE
    ven98 is  correct. You want the WDC HDD to be optane accelerated. But from your earlier screenshots, it looks like it may already be optane accelerated. A possible complication is that it is also configured in a software RAID which may or may not respond to a bigger optane card. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• pf2303

Tinkerer

OK that's fine. Would an increase in RAM from 16GB to 32GB help with the slight lagging whilst using Steam games. I have four 4GB DDR4 2666MT/s in at present. 
    I really appreciate all your help, thanks. 
  • JackE
    Well sure 32GB RAM would! I'm just not sure if a larger optane card would make as much difference especially the way its configured. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    It looks like the drive setup is already pretty optimal. Games shouldn't be using D: for anything except maybe offline state storage when you exit, unless you purposely installed them on D:. Optane isn't really going to be all that efficient at optimizing the SSD C: drive, your limiting factor there is the SATA port. If your memory load is anywhere near 16GB while running specific games then an upgrade to 32GB will be a big help. If the memory load is down closer to 8GB or less then the memory isn't a bottleneck and you'll want to look at moving to a faster GPU. Your 1060 only has 2GB of ram and most newer cards are going to have two or four times as much, as well as faster GPUs. Look into a 1080 ti or one of the new 20x0 cards.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JackE
    I think Billsey's frowns D: are really meant to be the D : drive. But maybe not? He might be in a bad mood today?  =)  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    Heheh, that's why I should proof-read after posting as well as before! ;)