Swift SF315-41 Not able to reduce the Brightness after Windows and Graphic driver Update

Options
2»

Answers

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

1. Make sure you have the latest BIOS

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

2. If the latest BIOS doesn't fix it, then read the post by @Levi21xD 

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/547535/brightness-not-changing-acer-swift-3-ryzen

3.  Microsoft is going to release 1903 soon so maybe it will be fixed then with a new driver.

It's ok if you send @Levi21xD a private message and ask what driver they are currently using.  Or maybe @Levi21xD will respond in this thread.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • seerra
    seerra Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Options
    JackE said:
    Then for some reason your video driver is being unloaded from RAM in sleep mode. It shouldn't be unloaded or cleared from RAM in sleep mode. Since this happened after a Windows and graphics update,  and your automatic restore point for these updates apparently doesn't work, then I think your next option is a Device Manager rollback if it's not grayed out.  If it's not available, then download and try the newer version of Quick Access in case the old version has somehow been messed up and interfering with Control Panel brightness controls. Jack E/NJ
    How Acer Quick Access can crank the functionality? 
    I have updated the Quick Access as well.
    Did the Roll Back.
    Also completely deleted the driver and installed it.
     No progress.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,630 Trailblazer
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Well you could try Jordan's suggestion of a BIOS update. But I usually try to avoid firmware changes because of the risks for bricking or adverse side-effects. If it were mine, and couldn't wait to see if Microsoft's next major update will fix or make things worse,  I'd probably try an ALT+F10 cold boot factory re-set or at least a refresh while trying to save my personal files. However, for me at least, this issue is more like an annoyance and doesn't rise to a level of taking such drastic measures. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• seerra
    Options
    Restoring isn't an option for now as it would take a lot of time. Yeah..! it is very annoying when you are in dark room and the screen emits those high intensity beam and not able to dim it. Well for now I would use shut down, if a solution or update pop up then it would be great.
  • MMillar
    MMillar Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi, I've had this same problem for the last couple months. I hoped that the latest Windows update would fix the issue but have had no luck. Did you find a solution? I have an Acer Swift 3
  • seerra
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @MMillar Yes, I was able get it resolved. I was not sure what triggered the issue, but most probably it was driver update. 
    I restored my windows as suggested by JackE. (Still the issue persisted)  
    Then uninstalled the display driver from device manager and cleared all the trash folders and file from C drive of Graphic driver(AMD)
    Make sure you get rid of all AMD files as they were affecting the installation process (In my case) .
    After that I installed the driver provided by Acer. 
    Reboot.
    Works perfectly as of now. 
    I haven't tried latest version of Ryzen 19.4. You may try it if works fine then let me know, if not repeat the whole process and install Acer recommended driver only.

Also I recommend you to follow the process without restoring the window at first.