Swift SF315-41 Not able to reduce the Brightness after Windows and Graphic driver Update

Options
seerra
seerra Member Posts: 31 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have recently updated the window and having an issue in adjusting the brightness(STAYS AT MAX) when I hibernate it and then boot it up. However after shutting it down and then booting it up, the brightness is adjustable normally. Do I need to roll back the Graphic Driver? The Lappy has Radeon Vega 8 mobile graphics.

Best Answer

• seerra
    Answer ✓
    Options
    @MMillar Yes, I was able get it resolved. I was not sure what triggered the issue, but most probably it was driver update. 
    I restored my windows as suggested by JackE. (Still the issue persisted)  
    Then uninstalled the display driver from device manager and cleared all the trash folders and file from C drive of Graphic driver(AMD)
    Make sure you get rid of all AMD files as they were affecting the installation process (In my case) .
    After that I installed the driver provided by Acer. 
    Reboot.
    Works perfectly as of now. 
    I haven't tried latest version of Ryzen 19.4. You may try it if works fine then let me know, if not repeat the whole process and install Acer recommended driver only.

Also I recommend you to follow the process without restoring the window at first.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,586 Trailblazer
    Options
    No. Open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the  power buttons do' in the left pane. Click 'change settings that aren't currently available'. Scroll down and uncheck the box for fast startup to disable fast boot. Then change all your settings to sleep, none to hibernate. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• seerra
    Options
    No this did not solve the issue. Still the brightness level is at max and not able to change it after booting up from hibernate. With normal shutdown the brightness is adjustable 
  • JackE
    Options
    >>>not able to change it after booting up from hibernate>>>

How is this being set to hibernate? How is it going into hibernation mode? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• seerra
    Options
    JackE said:
    >>>not able to change it after booting up from hibernate>>>

How is this being set to hibernate? How is it going into hibernation mode? Jack E/NJ

The issue is with the Brightness(Adjust-ability) which usually happens when their is some Bug. I am not having any problem in hibernating the device. I usually put my device to sleep or hibernate as I have work to do. When the system is turned back on from sleep/hibernate mode the brightness level are at maximum and not adjustable. Though if I shut it down and then turn it up the screen brightness is adjustable . 
  • JackE
    Options
    I understand that. But sleep & hibernate are two different processes. Sleep does not clear RAM and hardware settings. Hibernate clears RAM and stores settings to disk.  How are you putting in hibernation mode but not sleep mode? Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Options
    Also change this power plan setting. Open Control Panel again. Search 'turn off display'. Click 'choose when to turn off display'. Changes all settings to never as shown below. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• seerra
    edited April 2019
    Options
    JackE said:
    I understand that. But sleep & hibernate are two different processes. Sleep does not clear RAM and hardware settings. Hibernate clears RAM and stores settings to disk.  How are you putting in hibernation mode but not sleep mode? Jack E/NJ 
    Yeah...! But I'm unable to understand what are you confused in. I deliberately put my  device into hibernate(As it saves the power).
    And I was able to solve the issue with the Brightness.
    The problem was in the Graphic Driver which I updated through windows update (version 18.40).
    I just installed Radeon 19.4.3 from AMD driver support (official website).

And still I am having the issue....   :angry:
  • JackE
    Options
    Good. That's all that matters. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• seerra
    Options
    JackE said:
    Good. That's all that matters. Jack E/NJ
    Naah...! Bro the issue is still their and I am using windows 10
  • JackE
    edited April 2019
    Options
    >>>And I was able to solve the issue with the Brightness. The problem was in the Graphic Driver which I updated through windows update (version 18.40). I just installed Radeon 19.4.3 from AMD driver support (official website). And still I am having the issue....>>>

Yep. I'm confused. How were you able to solve the issue before (other than a shtdown & reboot) ?  Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• seerra
    Options
    Not able to resolve it yet. Tried installing different version of drivers still the problem persist
  • JackE
    Options
    How long ago did this happen? If within the last few weeks, a Control Panel automatic restore point might've been created by the offending update(s) and still available. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• seerra
    Options
    Around 10 days. 
  • seerra
    Options
    JackE said:
    How long ago did this happen? If within the last few weeks, a Control Panel automatic restore point might've been created by the offending update(s) and still available. Jack E/NJ
    Restored it still facing same issue. Windows Build 1809. Does anyone know the solution to it?
  • JackE
    edited April 2019
    Options
    Here's the issue. You say that with a normal shutdown and boot, the brightness is again adjustable. But it is not adjustable when waking from hibernation mode which is different than waking from sleep mode.

This suggests that the video driver initially loaded into RAM on a clean boot is being cleared from RAM when being put into hibernation mode but NOT re-loaded when waking from hibernation. This doesn't happen in sleep mode, the video driver is kept loaded in RAM and upon waking from sleep mode the video driver is still active. It takes very little energy to keep the video drivers loaded in RAM in sleep mode  vs hibernation mode where the driver is unloaded from RAM. The biggest energy drain is the screen and it's also turned off in sleep mode just like hibernation.

This is why it's important to know if the machine is really in sleep mode or in hibernation mode --- these two energy-saving  modes behave differently toward RAM memory upon waking.

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• seerra
    Options
     "But it is not adjustable when waking from hibernation mode which is different than waking from sleep mode. "
    From sleep mode as well the brightness isn't adjustable. 
    You may check this discussion as well though he have different chip
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/566458/my-swift-sf315-52s-brightness-is-stuck-what-should-i-do#latest
  • JackE
    Options
    Aye! Does this mean you've been trying to adjust brightness with Quick Access the whole time? Forget Access. What happens when you press the  FN key + the Left Arrow key? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• seerra
    Options
    I tried changing it from all the available options, fn+brightness, from display setting & quick acess
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    Options

1. Make sure you have the latest BIOS

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/drivers

2. If the latest BIOS doesn't fix it, then read the post by @Levi21xD

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/547535/brightness-not-changing-acer-swift-3-ryzen

3.  Microsoft is going to release 1903 soon so maybe it will be fixed then with a new driver.

It's ok if you send @Levi21xD a private message and ask what driver they are currently using.  Or maybe @Levi21xD will respond in this thread.

I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JackE
    Options
    Then for some reason your video driver is being unloaded from RAM in sleep mode. It shouldn't be unloaded or cleared from RAM in sleep mode. Since this happened after a Windows and graphics update,  and your automatic restore point for these updates apparently doesn't work, then I think your next option is a Device Manager rollback if it's not grayed out.  If it's not available, then download and try the newer version of Quick Access in case the old version has somehow been messed up and interfering with Control Panel brightness controls. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ