Predator Helios 300 PH315-51 - GeForce GTX 1060 will not work

jsobers1
jsobers1 Member Posts: 8 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello,

I've literally tried everything, but I cannot get the GTX 1060 to work every since I got the laptop two days ago. I've tried updating the drivers, using DDU to remove all drivers and installing the newest NVIDIA certified drivers, and upgrading the BIOS to 1.25. Windows is up to date, as are all of the other drivers. This seems to be a prevalent topic on these boards. Has anyone gotten it to work? I've seen suggestions of RMAing the laptop, but I've also seen other say Support wasn't helpful. Before I call, I'm hoping someone else has figured out the solution. Otherwise the laptop is useless for what I bought it to do - gaming.

I have the Predator PH315-51, part number NH.Q3FAA.001. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Answers

• Hello! Have you selected the nvidia video card here?
    Also, is the notebook set up for high performance in windows power options?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • jsobers1
    Yes, it is set up for high performance. But I can't even get the NVIDIA Control Panel to launch. When I try to run it, the circle spins for a second and then nothing happens. (And yes, I've tried re-installing it along with the drivers.) Right clicking on the desktop only shows the Intel Graphics Settings and not NVIDIA Control Panel.
  • What version of the operating system is installed? 1803 or 1809?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • jsobers1
    I have Windows 10 64-bit version 1803, OS build 17134.706
  • Try uninstalling and deleting intel and nvidia video drivers from the device manager:

Then restart the notebook and go to windows update and let windows download and install the appropriate drivers! If it does not work, download and install version 1809 of windows 10 here, but you need to back up your files as a precaution!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• jsobers1
    edited April 2019
    I've tried everything suggested, including updating Windows to 1809 with no success. Here is a screenshot from GPU-Z. Clock speed and memory are both 0 MHz, and nothing is checked at the bottom for OpenGL or PhysX. When I run GeForce Experience and try to update that way, the driver downloads but then never seems to install. It always says there's a new version available. I've tried literally every option.
  • Even if the video card is not being used, the program should show the speed correctly, see:

Click here to have the video card activated and forced to render:

Make sure the speed appears!
    Can your notebook still be redeemable for the store seller?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• jsobers1
    Well, it renders, but no updates are made to the clock speed or memory. They still show 0 MHz. 

Are you saying to go ahead and return it to the seller (in this case Amazon)?
  • You live in the United States? Amazon has an excellent policy for the exchange of products, if it is still in the exchange period!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• jsobers1
    Yes, I do. I guess I'll go that route. Thank you.
  • One last question: is the nvidia video card identified in the device manager?
    https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/551570/predator-helios-300-i7-8th-gen-ph315-51-not-detecting-the-gpu
    In my opinion, there is a video card failure!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• jsobers1
    It is detected, but shows error code 43. I agree, it seems like a hardware failure. Unfortunately, based on the forum posts I've seen, this is a pretty common occurrence in this model.
  • tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    The driver version listed is 399.31 from 2018. I assume this is because when installing the newest drivers; nothing happens? It just reverts back.

See a similar problem - https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1050127/code-43-on-geforce-1060-since-397-31/
    https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1050627/-windows-10-nvidia-gtx-1060-windows-has-stopped-this-device-because-it-has-reported-problems-code-43-/

IT does seem to be a common problem with various nVidia cards, not specific to Acer as you can see on the GeForce forums. The most common fix seems to be reverting back to an even older driver after DDU uninstall of current drivers. Which exact driver will work is not known, but I would start with whatever version it shipped with.

Given that; if you decided to simply return or exchange it I would definitely understand. 

• I think it's worth checking the tip of colleague tobimaru! Also, when installing the older driver, make sure the speeds are detected correctly in gpu-z! Although this site is in English, it contains a driver that has a hotfix that corrects this problem: https://adrenaline.uol.com.br/2018/05/04/55083/nvidia-geforce-397-55-hotfix/
    If it still does not work, I suggest you replace the equipment!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• jsobers1
    edited April 2019
    Thank, guys. I did try going back to 388.73 from the Acer website for the Helios 300, and still the card wasn’t recognized. I went ahead and submitted for a return to Amazon.
  • Ok! Post the result here!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer