First things to do specifically on this laptop before installing/running games to avoid any issues -

VolverAce
VolverAce Member Posts: 25 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have ordered Acer Nitro an515-42 model, it will be with me on 24th April.
What are the things I should do first so that I will not face any issues after installing my softwares/Games ? e.g BIOS update etc.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    NEVER manually install any updates unless the updates specifically are designed to fix a problem you are having with the laptop. If you don't have any problems with your softwares and games then don't try to fix problems that don't exist with updates. NO BIOS updates because they are very risky. Jack E/Nj

Jack E/NJ

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    I'm sorry but I have to disagree. I have the same model as you, I have had no problem with the BIOS updates they are on the official support page for the model and the latest BIOS is 1.13 mine shipped with 1.11, download to your desktop open it and double click the .exe it will install automatically, 1.12 addressed some stability issues and 1.13 addressed the keyboard backlight issue and a security issue. After installing 1.13 reboot and tap f2 to enter BIOS settings, under the General tab you will find the Keyboard backlight on/off.
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7605?b=1

Mine also shipped with the AMD Catalyst for Radeon, AMD have since launched Adrenalin for mobile processors so go there and install it for your GPU controls. 
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-19-4-3
    Having said all this I bought mine in November so yours maybe already updated so I'd check. If you need to update do it before you install games etc..Also do your Windows 10 updates first as well. One of the problems with forums like these are the horror stories which are real but for every bad experience there are literally thousands of good experiences that never make it here. Good luck

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited April 2019
    There is logic to not updating, just as there is with updating. If the specific updates do not address issues that concern or affect you, you may not want to update. I'd consider a security fix a pretty important reason to update. Just realize, there is some risk and do follow the guidelines for updating so as to not brick your computer.

That said, some of the most useful steps I've taken to improve my Nitro 5 are/were;

Enable CoolBoost within Predator Sense/Acer Care Center (whichever yours has). This boosts fan RPM at higher temperatures, improving cooling.

I use Intel Driver & Support Assistant to keep most drivers up to date. There is also Intel SSD Toolbox which lets you update storage firmware. 

HWiNFO64 is a useful tool to keep an eye on temperatures and power limits/throttling. This begins the rabbit hole of performance hunting and tuning; if you're interested browse the guides in my signature for overclocking steps. If not, move along.

Take a good amount of time and review the entire 'Settings' area of Windows 10. Basically, I disable many things that I don't use. Cortana, search bars, included apps, etc there is much to review. Uninstall any program you don't specifically want or use, like manufacturer installed trials and games.

I use a program called OOSU10 to disable a lot of the privacy/tracking within Windows. - https://www.oo-software.com/en/shutup10

One last thing I do is within the Device Manager. I will right-click > 'Update driver' on every piece of hardware in the list. Yes, every last one. This is mostly unnecessary unless you are trying to fix some driver problem. However, I have found this method reveals a lot of updates and keeps my hardware working fine. You'll eventually run into a driver install that requires the 'Have Disk'/.inf install method so its good to be familiar with the Device Manager.
  • Comrade_Brad
    Comrade_Brad Member Posts: 46 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Once Windows 10 installs every other update on its own, download GeForce Experience. This application will make sure your games run at optimal settings.
  • andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    edited April 2019
    Once Windows 10 installs every other update on its own, download GeForce Experience. This application will make sure your games run at optimal settings.
    The ANS 42 is AMD Radeon not Nvidia Geforce so he needs the Radeon Adrenalin 2019 download not GeForce Experience 

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★