My Acer Aspire 5 A515-51G doesn't turbo on battery power.

SuperUser
SuperUser Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi community,
My Acer Aspire 5 A515-51G doesn't turbo boost on battery power(it stays fixed at 1.6 ghz max). When it is plugged in it turbos to 3.4 ghz. I tried changing the power settings but it does not help. I wonder if acer has made a faulty bios or is this the intended behavior. 
Thanks for your replies.

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    >>>Why doesn't the CPU turbo at all on battery power? >>>

By design to save the battery. There may be ways to defeat it as egydiocoelho suggests but I'm not aware of any. It doesn't work on mine which must be plugged in to achieve anywhere near full speed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    What happens is that the notebook does not reach its maximum when it is running on the battery! In addition, this limitation in the clock, makes the battery last longer!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 

Answers

• Have you put the battery to high performance? Have you already updated the drivers and windows? What is the bios version?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    >>>intended behavior. >>>

Yes. For sustained high gaming loads, battery should be near 100% charged, charger plugged in and power plan set to high performance mode.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• SuperUser

Tinkerer

Have you put the battery to high performance? Have you already updated the drivers and windows? What is the bios version?
    Yes high performance and processor set to 100%. Yes updated the drivers and windows and bios version. Currently on 2.02 BIOS version. I think that it is a bios issue. Not sure but I think this problem has popped up after a bios update(at least I have noticed it right now only).
  • SuperUser

Tinkerer

JackE said:

Yes. For sustained high gaming loads, battery should be near 100% charged, charger plugged in and power plan set to high performance mode.

Jack E/NJ

So the intended behaviour is not to have the CPU go beyond 1.6ghz for even a second when the device is unplugged?
  • SuperUser

Tinkerer

SuperUser said:
    JackE said:

Jack E/NJ

So the intended behaviour is not to have the CPU go beyond 1.6ghz for even a second when the device is unplugged?
    Why doesn't the CPU turbo at all on battery power?
  • In fact, the clock will work again with the turbo if you put the notebook to suspend or hibernate on the battery! Take this test! However, this will consume more battery!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• SuperUser

Tinkerer

In fact, the clock will work again with the turbo if you put the notebook to suspend or hibernate on the battery! Take this test! However, this will consume more battery!
    I tried this earlier but it did not work.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    >>>Why doesn't the CPU turbo at all on battery power? >>>

By design to save the battery. There may be ways to defeat it as egydiocoelho suggests but I'm not aware of any. It doesn't work on mine which must be plugged in to achieve anywhere near full speed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 97,695 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    What happens is that the notebook does not reach its maximum when it is running on the battery! In addition, this limitation in the clock, makes the battery last longer!

egydiocoelho Trailblazer