Acer Predator G9-593 sata drive overheating and being dismounted by Intel Rapid Storage Technology

Options
Humayan
Humayan Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi, I've been using my Predator 15 for about a year now.
About a month ago my SATA drive was showing randomly occurring 10-20 seconds 100% usage and I couldn't find the cause. Launching Task Man, Explorer during that time would make them unresponsive. Media playing during that time, which are located on that drive would also make the media player unresponsive. After about a week of this, the drive started to be dismounted and a few days after that, even restarting the PC wouldn't mount the drive.
I swapped in an old drive and it was working fine for a few days, until today when it got overheated and was dismounted.
I bought the laptop through newegg and had it shipped to My country. So sending it to the retailer isn't an option. I don't understand the problem, is it the SATA connector? Or is it something else? Could anyone help me out here?

Answers

• BlueBait
    BlueBait Member Posts: 59 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Options
    maybe your pc suffer too much heat for a long time so it affects your hard drive
    the only suggestion i have is too buy a laptop fan cooler or check alll the vents in your laptop
    and your old hard drive forget about it you cant back up files there because its already corrupted
    and if your laptop suffers it don't run any games or any apps that highly use disk try cooling it for a while

• Humayan
    Humayan Member Posts: 17 Troubleshooter
    Options
    BlueBait said:
    maybe your pc suffer too much heat for a long time so it affects your hard drive
    the only suggestion i have is too buy a laptop fan cooler or check alll the vents in your laptop
    and your old hard drive forget about it you cant back up files there because its already corrupted
    and if your laptop suffers it don't run any games or any apps that highly use disk try cooling it for a while

The Old HDD works fine without even heating up at all when I use it with a SATA to USB adapter. Similarly, the new HDD I've swapped in is having overheating issue and all the other problems, only common thing between them is the SATA connector and as someone else mentioned in somewhere else, possibly, some power delivery issue. 
    I have been using a cooler pad from the start before these problems even start.
    One thing you might be right about is that, I do long sessions uses. Non demanding to high intensive gaming and typical web browsing and media consumptions. That being said, the games I've played were NOT on this drive, they were in my primary drive (SSD). So I don't get it if I'm doing long sessions even if I'm barely using the drive other than long music sessions, do the heat from other components and compartments heat up this drive as well? or am I getting this wrong?