Repasting the Acer Nitro 5 due to high cpu temperature?

Tamoghna
Tamoghna Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
So i bought an acer nitro 5 on 8th April, 2019. I've been noticing that the CPU temps easily reaches above 80c to around 98c while gaming, thus i reduced the maximum processor state upto 75% and took a major hit at performance, i also tried to undervolt it to -0.160 but it crashed after a while, while installing Far Cry 4. Although with an -0.160 undervolt my cpu temps hovered around 70-88c. I'm planning for performing for a repaste but I'm scared since my laptop is fairly new and if it will void my warranty, and would it mess up my laptop

Answers

• Comrade_Brad
    Comrade_Brad Member Posts: 46 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited April 2019
    I was planning exactly the same but I decided to let it reach the 90s.
  • Tamoghna
    I don't think that would be a good option since after crossing the mark of 90c there is a risk of damaging the hardware. I've seen some videos in YouTube regarding the teardown and repaste, I'm just wondering if it will void my warranty or will it be a risk to the laptop
  • Comrade_Brad
    Comrade_Brad Member Posts: 46 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Tamoghna said:
    I don't think that would be a good option since after crossing the mark of 90c there is a risk of damaging the hardware. I've seen some videos in YouTube regarding the teardown and repaste, I'm just wondering if it will void my warranty or will it be a risk to the laptop
    Yeah! But I just don't feel like repasting it at the moment... Let it be... Am I being too ignorant? 
  • Tamoghna
    Tamoghna said:
    Yeah! But I just don't feel like repasting it at the moment... Let it be... Am I being too ignorant? 
    Nah that's not at all ignorant, it wouldn't be easy for anyone to open their laptops and repaste their cpu, especially someone with no knowledge, but i think it's the only way to reduce cpu temps
  • tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    The process of re-pasting the Nitro 5 is not difficult. Give yourself an hour to not feel rushed, and it will probably take 30 minutes once you get going.

After several hours gaming, my peak temps on the i5-7300HQ are 84-86C at most. Usually it is 76-80C while gaming. The GPU peaks at 75C, usually 68-70C while gaming. At idle, GPU 38C average and CPU 45C average. This is with $8 Noctua NT-H1, a bit outdated formula now.

Give it a shot after reviewing the video if you feel confident!

I would also suggest starting your undervolt at -0.100v and working in -.010v increments until your reach the point of instability. Every chip is different. Mine will not accept lower than -0.110v value.
  • Tamoghna
    tobimaru said:
    The process of re-pasting the Nitro 5 is not difficult. Give yourself an hour to not feel rushed, and it will probably take 30 minutes once you get going.

After several hours gaming, my peak temps on the i5-7300HQ are 84-86C at most. Usually it is 76-80C while gaming. The GPU peaks at 75C, usually 68-70C while gaming. At idle, GPU 38C average and CPU 45C average. This is with $8 Noctua NT-H1, a bit outdated formula now.

Give it a shot after reviewing the video if you feel confident!

I would also suggest starting your undervolt at -0.100v and working in -.010v increments until your reach the point of instability. Every chip is different. Mine will not accept lower than -0.110v value.
    Yeah i do know that the repasting process for the Nitro 5 is fairly easy but I wanna know that will it be safe to repaste it on my own and will it void my warranty, I'm just scared that i might mess up something in the process, so that after repasting my laptop won't turn on. And also will the Arctic Silver 5 or Arctic MX-4 would be a good choice for thermal compound?