Upgrade from SSHD to SSD (Aspire s3 - 391-6497)

Mtrlns
Mtrlns Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited April 12 in 2020 Archives
Hi, I am ready to upgrade my Acer Aspire s3's [500 GB + 20GB]  SSHD hybrid drive to a SDD.  The laptop is 5.5 years old, and still works flawlessly, but I thought I would upgrade the OS drive to extend life and get an inexpensive performance boost.  (I bought a Crucial 240 GB SDD, so it will be smaller than my hybrid SSHD, but that would only be a concern if I am cloning, and there is a ton of empty space on the hybrid drive so I can shrink the partitions to easily fit the 240 GB SSD.)

Questions:
1.  I'm led to think I should do a clean install of Windows 7, rather than clone my current installation, not only because of the benefits of a clean install, but also because I'm not sure the 20 GB portion of the hybrid drive would clone correctly.  Is clean the best way to go?  Or should I clone, and not include/not worry about the two 20 GB hybrid partitions (which aren't really partitions, are they, as they are on a seperate 20 GB SSD, hence my confusion about what would happen during cloning).

2.  If a clean install is the best way to go:  I have the original Acer System Disc, and the 4 Recovery DVDs, that shipped with the computer.  When I boot into the System Disc, the factory reinstall choices appear, HOWEVER, it looks like I would first need to open the chassis and unplug my old hybrid HDD, and replace it internally with the new blank SDD, because the System Disc utility apparently doesn't permit having more than one hard drive connected during the Windows 7 reinstall.  Is this the case?  Can I not route the factory install to the new SDD, connected via a USB/SATA adapter, while leaving the old hybrid HDD installed inside the laptop?  (The reason is, if something doesn't work, I wouldn't have had to open the chassis and remove and reinstall the hybrid HDD; would be a less time consuming workflow, and less potentially damaging to my laptop).

3.  Assuming I do have to first remove the HDD, and the clean install to the SDD doesn't work, would I have any problem simply reinstalling the old hybrid HDD?  Obviously I would have removed it without formatting it; it would have been removed with Windows 7 unchanged and in perfect working condition.  Is there any reason it would cease to work as a result of this procedure?

4.  Last, is there a better way to do a clean install of Windows 7 than what I am describing above?  I tried to get an ISO from Microsoft but it errored, saying I can't download it because my license is a pre-installed one and thus I would need to go through the OEM. 

Comments

• 1) Ideally you clone because you will preserve the recovery partition of Acer! There is no problem cloning from sshd to ssd! However, you should decrease the size of the hd partition to 240gb and only then clone it to ssd using minitoolpartition!
    2) I do not think the ideal is to use the iso of microsoft. No need to remove old hd. However, you should change the startup setting in bios.
    3) Answered in question 2!
    4) The iso of microsoft, it seems that does not consider the serial oem!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Ivyli
    Ivyli Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited April 2019
    clean install is the safest method.however, it wastes time and you need to reinstall all the apps which doesnot come along with the computer. besides, you may lose your data if you do not create a backup ahead of time. thus,i preper to clone sshd to ssd with a proper software. you can use free AOMEI Backupper Standard. It's very easy to use.
  • albyTRT
    albyTRT Member Posts: 1 New User
    @Mtrlns
    you have change the HD?? went all right?
    i have an Acer Aspier S3-391 and i want change the HD but i'm not know where to start.
  • @albyTRTIdeally, you should create a new topic. Add me by putting an @.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Personally prefer to clone, a good one copies everything. That said with 500GB SSDs well under a Benjamin, I just use those for everything. Have Samsung EVOs and Crucial MX series. Tried a $60 one but it would not format properly.