Helios PH315-51 Still Overheating After Service Repaste

Drinniol
Drinniol Member Posts: 4 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
So I have a PH315-51 that is running way too hot - hitting 95 C CPU (aka throttletown) just playing regular missions in Warframe, and this is WITH undervolting by -.125 and with Coolboost always on.  Like, the CPU just constantly runs at between 90 and 95 C just playing Warframe.

I sent it in for repasting a few weeks ago.  Got it back today, slip in the box says repasted, passes all checks, etc. etc.  They reinstalled my entire OS so I have to redownload everything and set up all my settings again.  Joy.

OK.  Fine, as long as it doesn't hit throttling temps while playing games (NOT even a stress test).

So I boot up Warframe again and... five minutes into a mission, 95 C CPU according to predatorsense.  Yay.  Again, undervolted by -.125.  FPS is capped by the way.  If I manually turn fans to max, I can avoid throttling, but am I wrong in feeling that I shouldn't have to both undervolt AND have fans permanently roaring just to avoid CPU temps that can nearly boil water during ordinary gameplay?  Is it even safe for the long term health of the laptop to be sitting between 90-95C for hours on end during gaming?

So... now what?  I already sent it in and they said they fixed the issue, but the issue is completely, 100% unfixed.  What am I supposed to do?  In addition to being out the laptop for ~2.5 weeks, it even cost me money to send it in for service.  Am I supposed to do it again, only to once again get it back and have 0 progress?

The only reason I even went through this nonsense in the first place is because apparently if I repaste the CPU myself using proper MARKET STANDARD passing thermal paste that costs 6 bucks instead of whatever 6 cent ***** Acer scrapes off the dumpster to use at their factory, apparently if I do that, if I don't cheap out and completely tank the thermal performance of this thousand dollar machine to save however many cents per unit like Acer apparently does.  IF I DO THAT, I void the warranty.  Can you tell I am a little heated right now?  Not nearly as heated as my thousand dollar laptop while playing games, of course.

To say I am disappointed with Acer's service here is an understatement of the century.

But, right, what am I supposed to do?  Undervolting was insufficient, undervolting+running the fans at absolute max is still barely adequate in even normal gaming moments.  Sending the thing in for repairs only cost me money and time and annoyance.  Do I just repaste it myself anyway?  Does that REALLY void the warranty (USA customer)?  Where do I go to talk to support that doesn't just tell me to send it in again (the definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different results) and instead actually helps me solve my issue?  I'm at my wit's end here. 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Simply try running it on the balanced power plan for awhile to see how it performs plugged in. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Drinniol
    All of those temperatures have always been from the balanced power plan while plugged in on a flat surface with no obstructions. 
  • JackE
    >>>Does that REALLY void the warranty (USA customer)?  Where do I go to talk to support that doesn't just tell me to send it in again (the definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different results) and instead actually helps me solve my issue?  I'm at my wit's end here.  >>>

Well, if it was mine, I'd probably not worry too much at this point about removing the HDD & RAM, taking the bottom cover off, and removing the battery to check out the thermal module for a clogged heat pipe. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Drinniol
    During the service they replaced the bottom case, surely they would have noticed and corrected a clogged heat pipe?
  • JackE
    While vacuuming/blowing air thru the heatpipe, I'd probably also repaste the heatsinks with Arctic MX-4. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Drinniol said:
    So I have a PH315-51 that is running way too hot - hitting 95 C CPU (aka throttletown) just playing regular missions in Warframe, and this is WITH undervolting by -.125 and with Coolboost always on.  Like, the CPU just constantly runs at between 90 and 95 C just playing Warframe.

I sent it in for repasting a few weeks ago.  Got it back today, slip in the box says repasted, passes all checks, etc. etc.  They reinstalled my entire OS so I have to redownload everything and set up all my settings again.  Joy.

OK.  Fine, as long as it doesn't hit throttling temps while playing games (NOT even a stress test).

So I boot up Warframe again and... five minutes into a mission, 95 C CPU according to predatorsense.  Yay.  Again, undervolted by -.125.  FPS is capped by the way.  If I manually turn fans to max, I can avoid throttling, but am I wrong in feeling that I shouldn't have to both undervolt AND have fans permanently roaring just to avoid CPU temps that can nearly boil water during ordinary gameplay?  Is it even safe for the long term health of the laptop to be sitting between 90-95C for hours on end during gaming?

So... now what?  I already sent it in and they said they fixed the issue, but the issue is completely, 100% unfixed.  What am I supposed to do?  In addition to being out the laptop for ~2.5 weeks, it even cost me money to send it in for service.  Am I supposed to do it again, only to once again get it back and have 0 progress?

The only reason I even went through this nonsense in the first place is because apparently if I repaste the CPU myself using proper MARKET STANDARD passing thermal paste that costs 6 bucks instead of whatever 6 cent ***** Acer scrapes off the dumpster to use at their factory, apparently if I do that, if I don't cheap out and completely tank the thermal performance of this thousand dollar machine to save however many cents per unit like Acer apparently does.  IF I DO THAT, I void the warranty.  Can you tell I am a little heated right now?  Not nearly as heated as my thousand dollar laptop while playing games, of course.

To say I am disappointed with Acer's service here is an understatement of the century.

But, right, what am I supposed to do?  Undervolting was insufficient, undervolting+running the fans at absolute max is still barely adequate in even normal gaming moments.  Sending the thing in for repairs only cost me money and time and annoyance.  Do I just repaste it myself anyway?  Does that REALLY void the warranty (USA customer)?  Where do I go to talk to support that doesn't just tell me to send it in again (the definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different results) and instead actually helps me solve my issue?  I'm at my wit's end here. 

Try this below option and see if that helps...
    Create a new power plan based out of balanced and update processor power settings as in the the below screenshot:

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Drinniol
    Looks like I need to change some registry keys to even see most of those options.  Which settings specifically are supposed to help and why?
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Drinniol said:
    Looks like I need to change some registry keys to even see most of those options.  Which settings specifically are supposed to help and why?
    Install Park Control and toggle the option to show all these extra entries in power settings.
    As to why and what, read here --> https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/customize/power-settings/configure-processor-power-management-options

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • Deejay_tech
    Deejay_tech Member Posts: 356 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    edited April 2019
    use throttlestop to cap the cpu speed to 33x. all 4 cores.
    it is in the FIVR section of throttlestop. under turbo limits i think.
    whats your cpu model # ?

repasting or blaming acer would not help the issue.
    My personal Acer m/c's
    1) Gaming: Acer Predator Helios 300 PH315-51
    Config:Core i5 8300H, 16GB, 250GB SSD, 1TB HDD, 1050ti GPU

2) Daily Use: Acer Aspire A315-53  59GR
    Config: Core i5 8250u, 8GB, 256 SSD, 1TB HDD, IPS FHD 

3) Linux Learning: Acer Aspire A315-53 P4MY
    Config: Pentium Gold 4417U, 8 GB, 256 SSD, 500GB HDD.
  • tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    What are the idle temperatures like? GPU temp?

The load temps will always be high on laptops, especially with sustained load. However, an immediate jump to 95C could be indicitave of a problem. Like you I doubt Acer used a quality paste. There are many reasons behind this, one of which is indeed cost savings. At this point, because you've already gone through Acer and the issue is unresolved, I would repaste it myself. That is, UNLESS you plan to return the unit or otherwise invoke the warranty  at any point. That is a choice you will have to make. If you want to keep it, rather than deal with Acer support again and the loophole of getting the same paste reapplied for zero improvement; just repaste it yourself.

In the grand scheme of things, it is quite simple. I dropped an average of 10C off my load temps with an $8 tube of Noctua thermal paste. There are even better pastes available.