My Helios 300 G3-572-75L9 is overheating, Acer says it's normal.

lucase
lucase Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have a predator Helios 300 with the GPU reaching 96C and the CPU reaching 100C. Acer tells me that's normal and GPU is good up to 102C.
The keyboard reaches 52C (I measured because it was too uncomfortable to play).
From what I read around here my temperatures are insane.
It actually went for service for this once and came back exactly the same!
Now Acer refuses to acknowledge these are high temperatures and won't fix now exchange my notebook.
If I were to try to repaste I would void my warranty, so I have no idea what to do. I'm absolutely disappointed with Acer  ):

Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    Follow the links in my signature to reduce temps by about 20 degrees. This involves undervolting both CPU and GPU.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • lucase

Tinkerer

lucase said:
    Now Acer refuses to acknowledge these are high temperatures and won't fix now exchange my notebook.
    I meant "won't fix NOR exchange my notebook".

sri369 said:
    Follow the links in my signature to reduce temps by about 20 degrees. This involves undervolting both CPU and GPU.
    I'm sorry to say that undervolting has not fixed my issues. While it does somewhat help the CPU, absolutely nothing changed about the temperature of the GPU. It reaches 95C+ anyway.
  • sri369

lucase said:
    lucase said:

sri369 said:
    I'm sorry to say that undervolting has not fixed my issues. While it does somewhat help the CPU, absolutely nothing changed about the temperature of the GPU. It reaches 95C+ anyway.
    1. Pretty any gaming laptop does this - some may not cos manufacturer may have restricted performance to reduce heat. Acer let the components go unrestricted.
    2. What did you do for GPU undervolting.

If you are using PS, uninstall it for you won't need it. Install MSI Afterburner and set up the GPU graph (Ctrl-F) to undervolt it. If you already did this, put on some screenshots of what all you did.

Also, please do optimize your windows - windows 10 is a hog if not optimized properly.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • lucase

Tinkerer

sri369 said:

lucase said:
    lucase said:

sri369 said:
    1. Pretty any gaming laptop does this - some may not cos manufacturer may have restricted performance to reduce heat. Acer let the components go unrestricted.
    2. What did you do for GPU undervolting.

If you are using PS, uninstall it for you won't need it. Install MSI Afterburner and set up the GPU graph (Ctrl-F) to undervolt it. If you already did this, put on some screenshots of what all you did.

Also, please do optimize your windows - windows 10 is a hog if not optimized properly.
    1. So you are saying that pretty much any gaming laptop reaches 96C on GPU and 100C on CPU? Come on, Nvidia official specifications say the GTX 1060 is only supposed to go to 94C. You can also check 7700HQ official specifications on Intel website and T_junction is 100C.
    Try putting your fingers on something over 51C like my keyboard is getting, you'll see it actually burns.

2. I have tried copying numerous curves from all around and even tried creating them. It's pointless to post a picture of one random curve I tried, they all end up the same way, 96C. I have tried every trick in the book to optimize, I think I managed a 94 with some insane tweaking.
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    97C is the Tjunction of the GPU(you will never see it go higher than that), which means 96C is very high, when is shouldn't be higher than 83C max(there is no laptop that is designed to have the GPU running at 96C). There is no way to reduce these temps to normal levels by simply undervolting. I suspect the issue here is the thermal paste and it should be fixed with repasting. You can do the repasting yourself(usually voids warranty) or contact Acer again. This time let them know that beside the very high temperatures your games start lagging.

Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• lucase

Tinkerer

So yeah, I told the guy on the phone that I actually can't play because I have to remove my fingers from the machine otherwise they will burn, and so it's impossible to use the notebook for its intended use.
    They denied the warranty again.
    This is insane. I can't play, it's physically too hot. The CPU temperature reaches T_junction. The GPU temperature is over Nvidia's official limit.
    They still won't fix it.
    What the hell, Acer.
  • sri369
    lucase said:
    So yeah, I told the guy on the phone that I actually can't play because I have to remove my fingers from the machine otherwise they will burn, and so it's impossible to use the notebook for its intended use.
    This is insane. I can't play, it's physically too hot. The CPU temperature reaches T_junction. The GPU temperature is over Nvidia's official limit.
    They still won't fix it.
    What the hell, Acer.
    @lucase if you are on windows 1809, chances are that the 1809 and intel drivers messed up the processor working to high performance beyond reasons. Check the first link in my signature and that option to see if that helps. It details on customizing power plan.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • lucase

Tinkerer

sri369 said:
    lucase said:
    They still won't fix it.
    What the hell, Acer.
    @lucase if you are on windows 1809, chances are that the 1809 and intel drivers messed up the processor working to high performance beyond reasons. Check the first link in my signature and that option to see if that helps. It details on customizing power plan.

I've been having this problem since before 1809 had been released. I hadn't sent it for repair before because I didn't have any spare to work with in the meantime.
  • sri369
    lucase said:
    sri369 said:
    lucase said:
    They still won't fix it.
    What the hell, Acer.

I've been having this problem since before 1809 had been released. I hadn't sent it for repair before because I didn't have any spare to work with in the meantime.
    See if this link helps: https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/565487/solution-windows-10-v1809-reducing-temps-g3-572
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ---------
  • lucase

Tinkerer

I come here this time to tell everyone that with MUCH EFFORT I manage to get them to take the machine to the service center.

I also regretfully inform that they still claim they find no anormalities.

So yeah, 96°C GPU, 100°C CPU and 52°C over the keyboard are absolutely normal.

Check this out, first picture is 5 or 10 minutes of Witcher 3. Second one is like 10 minutes of Deus Ex.

I know these thermomethers aren't the most precise thing in the world, but I'm pretty sure anyone here could guess it's mostly accurate in the sense that the temperature is way past reasonable. And I do have pictures of 100°C CPU too, just couldn't be bothered to find them, specially when 5 or 10 minutes gaming already shows a 98°C. 

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited May 2019
    @lucase just make them either fix it or replace it or escalate you case to the highest in the HQ im sure if you do that they will do something after that, the support all depends on each country and might not be done by acer themselves (they dont have HQ/repair centers in all countries) most of the times are repair centers/shops supposedly certified by acer to do the repairs and also most of the times they aren't even aware of whats is going on on those centers/shops as it should be per contract thats how manufacturers usually operate so as i said try to escalate to the highest pretty sure you will have it fixed or replaced there have been some cases around like yours 

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/