Battery not charging while gaming

hani_han
hani_han Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
I bought a Predator Helios 300 (this model: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CTHLX8C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) PH315-51 with an i7-8750H and GTX1060 6GB. When I launch and start playing somewhat demanding games such as Destiny 2 on high settings, the laptop will stop charging and use battery power to run the laptop. I'm using the supplied 180W USA charger. I've tried resetting the battery. I've tried reinstalling the battery driver. Any thoughts or ideas that could help?

Answers

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    This is normal for this laptop. There is no need to uninstall or change any drivers.

Your laptop uses both the 180W AC adapter as well as the built-in battery to provide MORE than 180W when need be. This as a result discharges the battery even while on AC power while there is a demanding task. The battery will discharge to a certain limit (40% I believe), at which point it will throttle power back down in order to charge the battery again. If you are still gaming after this point, you may notice a reduction in performance until the battery is at a usable power level again.

You should notice, as soon as you shut the game down or end the task the battery immediately begins charging again. 

If you were to limit the laptop to AC adapter power only (180W max), you would not get the full performance from your system while gaming. Most modern laptops utilize the AC adapter plus the internal battery for full power. Some laptops even utilize TWO AC adapters, as well as the internal battery for maximum performance. 
  • arnavberi2
    arnavberi2 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited May 2020

PREDATOR LAPTOP

Guys I need help I recently got an Acer predator 

And it just stops charging whenever I play any game as soon as I close the game and pull out my charger and plug it back in it starts charging 
    I get that it draws power from both the adapter and the battery but I had this problem even when my battery was above 85 percent and plugged in as well any help would be appreciated thank you