Legal download of Windows 7 Home Premium

Options
kma440
kma440 Member Posts: 7 New User
edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
The hard drive on my laptop finally failed. No recovery disc. Wouldn't matter if the drives failed anyway. Where or how or if can I download the Acer installation of Windows 7 Home Premium? I don't see it listed in the drivers section. It's not a driver course. I've still got the tag on the laptop so I've got the windows license.

Best Answer

• kma440
    edited April 2019 Answer ✓
    Options
    I realize that Microsoft did not sell them CDs. But my Dell Inspiron came fully loaded and it with an actual Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit CD. Just an example. I could install Windows XP SP2 on it but that's not what I want. I can't even get it to power on and the minut difference in power supply amperage isn't sufficient to keep it from powering on.

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Options
    Good afternoon kma440 !

The Windows version of your device is an OEM and is not available for download.
    If you have lost the Acer recovery partition from the HDD and you did not create an external backup, you still have 2 options:

You can send to Acer to reinstall the original factory system.
    You may be charged a fee.

Or you can download an ISO official from Microsoft and during installation use your serial so the system is upgraded to specifications.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• kma440
    Options
    Thank you but what about the specific drivers for the sound card, land, e t c.?
  • MaClane
    Options
    What EXACT model of your laptop?

For approved systems, Acer provides all standard drivers.

Anyway there are several other ways to update drivers like:
    Through Windows Update
    Using some automation software such as DriverBooster or DriverPack
    Download directly from developer sites, such as Intel, Realtek, etc.
    Search for the driver ID on Google
    Etc...

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• kma440
    Options
    It is a 5742z. I've already located the drivers on the Acer website. I've also got a Windows 7 Home Premium CD they came with another brand of computer. I'm sure that will work because I have the Microsoft stickers still on the laptop with the serial number. I can download the drivers to a USB but I know there's a specific order in which they need to be applied. Things like a bios update and Lannon this and that. I know it's an older laptop but it's my daughter's and I don't intend on spending money to buy her anything's better than what she's already got since she doesn't take care of it. I've got a new 500 gig hard drive for it though.
  • kma440
    Options
    It couldn't be simpler. I get an error message telling me that the software was installed by the manufacturer and so I need to contact Acer for recovery options.

Error

The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.

I'm not feeling much love for Acer at the moment.

• MaClane
    Options
    This is because the factory system is an OEM and not ESD or FPP.
    In this case the license is only valid for the factory OEM system.
    Windows OEm can only be used and belongs to the original machine that was installed.
    This in absolutely nothing has to do with Acer.
    All companies that use OEM WIndows work this way.
    If you want to keep this license you will need to contact Acer for them to reinstall the OEM system.
    You may be charged a fee.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• kma440
    Options
    Thank you. It's not worth it at this point. I couldn't find the original charger but I've got one that's 19 volts at 3.16 amps and the unit won't even power on. An Electronics technician and the unit should power on even though it's .30 amps less than the original power supply. It's not worth all this footwork. Not when I can pick up a used something or another off of eBay. Thanks for all your help guys I appreciate it.
  • MaClane
    Options
    As for the charger, it must have the same characteristic of the original, both in voltage and amperage.
    These changed values may prevent the appliance from turning on or worse, cause it to burn.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• kma440
    Options
    Thank you but as I indicated I'm an Electronics technician and I can tell you that there is no perceptible difference between a power supply that's 19 and 3.46 amps and one that is 19 volts and 3.16 amps. A .3 amp difference is negligible. No laptop would be so specific on the amperage because the load placed on the electronic device is variable. That would mean screen turned up the full brightness, sound at full volume, and 100% duty cycle on the hard drive and on the DVD all at one time. The amperage required by a power supply is always greater than what is actually required. But it doesn't matter because I don't have a COA.
  • zxz12
    zxz12 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Options
    kma440 said:
    It couldn't be simpler. I get an error message telling me that the software was installed by the manufacturer and so I need to contact Acer for recovery options.

Error

The product key you entered appears to be for software pre-installed by the device manufacturer. Please contact the device manufacturer for software recovery options.

I'm not feeling much love for Acer at the moment.

This is politics of Microsoft, not Acer. I also hate it. 
  • kma440
    edited April 2019 Answer ✓
    Options
    I realize that Microsoft did not sell them CDs. But my Dell Inspiron came fully loaded and it with an actual Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit CD. Just an example. I could install Windows XP SP2 on it but that's not what I want. I can't even get it to power on and the minut difference in power supply amperage isn't sufficient to keep it from powering on.