Can xb273k downscale to 1440p @ 144hz? Which cable type?

DKRE
DKRE Member Posts: 2 New User
edited February 14 in 2020 Archives
I'm just confused from reading reviews. 
Can I downscale this monitor to 1440p @144hz? if I do this - will it look worse than just getting a 1440p monitor? How much worse?
Do I need to use either the DP port or HDMI port to achieve this?
You probably are asking - why downscale? 
I intend to game at 1440p but do my photo and video editing at 4k. 
Thank you for your help.
Best,
DKRE

Answers

• DKRE
    DKRE Member Posts: 2 New User
    And I don't necessarily mean 144hz specifically, I mean 120 works too. I'm just asking if I can get a choice in refresh rate at 1440p.
  • r3tr0
    r3tr0 Member Posts: 26 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    HI @DKRE I just got this monitor. The monitor itself has a native refresh rate of 120hz when paired with the display port. I am not sure which version of the DP input it has but it has to be at least 1.3 or 1.4 because those are the only versions of display port that support 4k at 120hz; from my understanding you can achieve 144hz refresh by using 2 display ports. That being said, you can scale down your monitor's resolution to 1440p, 1080p etc. through the display settings on windows. I think that the visuals will look just fine in game but might be a little off when you are just using the monitor for every day tasks. You will def achieve a higher frame rate by playing a game at 1440p as that will be dependent on your gpu and the benchmarks it has for fps at that resolution. imo I would leave the monitor at the native 2160p resolution and set the screen resolution with the in game settings and see if that gets you the fps you are looking for (also using the OSD fps counter to check if you are getting the desired results). If not, I would go with scaling down the resolution in the windows settings and experiment with that. Hope that helps! Let me know if you need any help. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Normally in Windows rather then down scaling the screen resolution you zoom the screen by the proper amount. Going from true 2160P to zoomed 1440P is about 150% zoom. The OS tends to do a bit better in keeping the sharpness than the monitor itself.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.