Processor stuck at 3.02 GHz on Acer nitro 5 AN515-42.

anuraagkhare2121
anuraagkhare2121 Member Posts: 35 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
So I'm at bios 1.13 and I recently discovered that my processor won't go above 3.02 GHz upon performing stress test by CPU-Z. Earlier it used to go upto 3.3GHz . As long as  I remember, I didn't changed anything so just wanted to know if Acer underclocked the processor using bios update or my unit is defected.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,470 Trailblazer
    What problem were you having with the machine that you thought v1.13  would fix? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• anuraagkhare2121
    JackE said:
    What problem were you having with the machine that you thought v1.13  would fix? Jack E/NJ
    I regularly check for new BIOS in support page and update it at soon as new version comes online. I am also eagerly waiting for linux soft lockup fix. After posting this thread I rolled back to BIOS 1.09 to see if clock goes up but the problem still persisted :/
  • JackE
    Are you 100% sure it went to 3.3GHz even under v1.09? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• anuraagkhare2121
    JackE said:
    Are you 100% sure it went to 3.3GHz even under v1.09? Jack E/NJ
    Not Quite 3.3 but surely upto 3.24Ghz.
  • JackE
    I'm a bit surprised you ever saw anything close to the 3.4GHz max for the 2700u. Typically we see about 10% less. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• anuraagkhare2121
    JackE said:
    I'm a bit surprised you ever saw anything close to the 3.4GHz max for the 2700u. Typically we see about 10% less. Jack E/NJ 
    It's 2500U and it supports a max boost of 3.6Ghz but I got only upto 3.2ghz when I bought my laptop which, as you mentioned is 10% less than labelled speed and now it came down to 3.02 only
  • JackE
    The 2500u's 3.6GHz max is definitely AMD advertising hype for a single core & thread, not under a real-world workload that CPUz is supposed to measure. And even CPUz itself isn't terribly consistent or 100% accurate --- it has +/- deviations in measurements.  So now I'm even more surprised you even saw 3.2 GHz. 3.02 GHz is even above the typical ~2.8 GHz average most folks are seeing with this CPU. Quite frankly, I see nothing wrong with your CPU. However, if you keep trying to fix it with updates, in particular BIOS firmware updates and their well-known risk of bricking or side effects, you may eventually succeed in making it defective. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• rahulpareek9250
    rahulpareek9250 Member Posts: 119 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    for me its 3.3ghz during benchmark but due to cores locked at 1.6ghz on battery it lags badly for me on diff app even it takes lot of times to boot correctly even all startup apps are off.
  • JackE
    Do you have any non-Microsoft antimalware scanners running in the background? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• AumShanti
    AumShanti Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter
    Why not try increasing TDP to 30 to 35W and see if the clocks don't go up?
  • anuraagkhare2121
    JackE said:
    Do you have any non-Microsoft antimalware scanners running in the background? Jack E/NJ
    Nope. Just windows defender and nothing else.
  • anuraagkhare2121
    AumShanti said:
    Why not try increasing TDP to 30 to 35W and see if the clocks don't go up?
    Yeah, increasing TDP sure gives a boost of 3.56Ghz but then there's problem of thermal throttling and the boost won't stay for more than few seconds before dropping to 2Ghz base clock in order to cool down. Also, it's not a healthy thing for processor.
  • anuraagkhare2121
    JackE said:
    The 2500u's 3.6GHz max is definitely AMD advertising hype for a single core & thread, not under a real-world workload that CPUz is supposed to measure. And even CPUz itself isn't terribly consistent or 100% accurate --- it has +/- deviations in measurements.  So now I'm even more surprised you even saw 3.2 GHz. 3.02 GHz is even above the typical ~2.8 GHz average most folks are seeing with this CPU. Quite frankly, I see nothing wrong with your CPU. However, if you keep trying to fix it with updates, in particular BIOS firmware updates and their well-known risk of bricking or side effects, you may eventually succeed in making it defective. Jack E/NJ 

So you're saying that AMD is lying when they boast max clock speed of 3.6Ghz?. Isn't it just fooling customers....
  • tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    So you're saying that AMD is lying when they boast max clock speed of 3.6Ghz?. Isn't it just fooling customers....
    No. All-core maximum boost clock and single-threaded maximum boost clock are always going to be different. AMD or Intel, until you start overclocking. Advertising the maximum single-threaded clock speed is just naming a specific feature of the processor. The fact that the all-core speed is different is not a trick, it's designed that way. They are obviously going to advertise the higher speed because consumers want to see a bigger number. Once you understand the architecture behind the chip, the advertising becomes easier to understand.
  • AumShanti
    edited April 2019
    What are your temps like, and have you considered a re-paste? The last few hundred MHz really tax the proccy, so i keep mine locked to 3.0GHz for gaming sessions. At 30W gaming my APU stays at 60 to 62C in this April month. 35W takes it to 64C. I also keep my laptop elevated from the front just a bit (about 2cm) to ensure proper airflow underneath.
  • Vinay069
    Vinay069 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

How you guys are able to adjust TDP?
  • AumShanti
    Google "Ryzenadj"