ACER NITRO 5 SPIN NP515-51 Keyboard Backlight Timeout - [Dissable] !!!

4droide
4droide Member Posts: 3 New User
edited April 2019 in Swift and Spin Series
Please, release a BIOS update for an ACER NITRO 5 SPIN for a backlight keyboard function too. BIOS version 1.14 does not have a backlight keyboard function. These blinking keys are highly distracting while writing. A 200EUR ChromeBook has a backlit function always on and this 1500EUR ACER NITRO 5 SPIN does not. Please, do care. This is irritation not a feature. 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    If it has a backlight KB that are blinking to distraction, just change it with the FN+F8 toggle key combo. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• 4droide
    4droide Member Posts: 3 New User
    It has a timer of 30 seconds which is not possible to deactivate. Backlight can't be always ON and that's is very irritating. I will not buy next Acer if they continue to have this energy saving "feature".
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    edited April 2019
    Some nitro users have reported that a recent BIOS update has resolved the issue. While I don 't usually recommend BIOS updates due to their inherent risks of bricking or side effects, this timeout default feature seems to be an fairly distracting issue for many users while plugged in so it might be worth a try. Go to this link https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/7410?b=1

If it does not resolve the issue, then I suggest you send a PM to @Acer-Manny to request a software or firmware update to allow disabling this default KB backlight timeout feature. https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/comment/636404/#Comment_636404

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Hi 4droide,

Unfortunately there is not BIOS/Firmware update available to allow changing the default KB backlight timeout feature on this model, this is a feature as part of our effort to meet Energy Star7.0, Acer is unable to offer a support path to override or modify this KB backlight timer feature. 

Sorry for any inconveniences this may cause,
    Acer-Manny
  • drewgg
    drewgg Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited April 2019
    Hi 4droide,

Unfortunately there is not BIOS/Firmware update available to allow changing the default KB backlight timeout feature on this model, this is a feature as part of our effort to meet Energy Star7.0, Acer is unable to offer a support path to override or modify this KB backlight timer feature. 

Acer-Manny
    This is ridiculous and that reasoning makes no sense at all. Why don't you force the screen brightness to be very dark/dim for the same reason? Why don't you prevent processor heavy programs from running for the same reason? Why don't you force the laptop to only be able to run for 4 hours each day for the same reason? The idea that you don't allow your customers to change the KB backlight timeout for "Energy Star7.0" is asinine.

This needs to be reconsidered and changed. If I could return my laptop at this point I would (I have a "Nitro NP515-51" btw). The short timeout is a real pain in the butt. I hate having to tap "Ctrl" to light the keyboard back up every time I pause for a few seconds while typing. It's completely unnecessary. It's not saving energy, it's just annoying your customers.

Again, changing the KB backlight timeout needs to be an option on ALL of your models. If that causes you to lose "Energy Star7.0" then screw "Energy Star7.0".

• drewgg
    drewgg Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I didn't know there was a "vote" taking place for this. When I search for this issue there are so many other threads on this site with people complaining about this issue that I guess the vote thread got lost in the pile. I've repeated my message on that thread. Ridiculous. 
  • Dieselcircuit
    Dieselcircuit Member Posts: 1 New User
    Manny0820 said:
    Hi 4droide,

Acer-Manny
    BS! Fix it!