Acer Nitro 5 and Samsung SSD 860 EVO M.2 - Cannot boot SSD

Akynos
Akynos Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello ! I cannot boot my SSD from UEFI/BIOS. It does not appear in the list of available drives to boot.

Laptop: Acer Nitro 5 AN515-42 1TB HDD. Win10 already installed on HDD.

Recently purchased SSD: Samsung MZ-N6E500BW SSD 860 EVO 500 GB
Installed SSD onto SSD slot, then booted up normally with HDD. SSD was showing in explorer quickly after that.
1- I formatted the SSD to NTFS
2- I cloned my C: disk with Windows on it to my SSD with Macrium Reflect
3- I restarted the PC, pressed F2 to go into UEFI, went into boot, but only my HDD is showing, not my SSD.

Only boot mode is UEFI.
UEFI recognizes the presence of the SSD, labels it as H1.
I tried disabling safe boot, but that doesn't make it appear.
SATA mode is shown as UEFI, but option is greyed out
SATA options only allows me to enable or disable disks H0 and H1

I'd really appreciate some help as I am not a techie and am stuck ! Thank you very much for your time and assistance !
Kind regards,

Akynos

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,851 Trailblazer
    edited April 2019 Answer ✓
    The SSD is currently MBR partitioned  NTFS formatted so you can see it OK in File Explorer on an already booted machine. However, in order to boot from it, it must be GPT partitioned NTFS formatted or the UEFI boot tab won't see it. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    edited April 2019 Answer ✓
    The SSD is currently MBR partitioned  NTFS formatted so you can see it OK in File Explorer on an already booted machine. However, in order to boot from it, it must be GPT partitioned NTFS formatted or the UEFI boot tab won't see it. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• Akynos
    Akynos Member Posts: 2 New User
    JackE said:
    Absolutely, thank you ! I figured it out a couple days ago after lengthy research, wish you had seen my post earlier haha, but thank you very much for your help !
  • iNeedHelp_
    iNeedHelp_ Member Posts: 1 New User
    I recently just brought a Samsung 860 Evo 1T for my Acer Nitro 5 and once I power it on it reads “No Bootable Device”. I F2 and it’s would not let me reboot what so ever. Also, I head about this Alt+F10 for another way of rebooting and it’s also not working for me. ANY HELP!? 
  • JackE

What did you use to clone the old drive onto the new EVO? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• andylb
    andylb ACE Posts: 3,827 Pathfinder
    I recently just brought a Samsung 860 Evo 1T for my Acer Nitro 5 and once I power it on it reads “No Bootable Device”. I F2 and it’s would not let me reboot what so ever. Also, I head about this Alt+F10 for another way of rebooting and it’s also not working for me. ANY HELP!? 

Alt + F10 is to do a clean windows install

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    Thank you and have a blessed day  B)

★★ ACE Pathfinder 2019★★