Acer Helios 300 -Automatic Overheat?!?

Scout_131
Scout_131 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2018 Archives
Hi,
I’m 13 and I recently saved up enough to by myself my first machine, I decided I would go for the Helios 300. I HAVE 128SSD GTX 1060 and I7-8750h. 

This is is my second month of owning the laptop and I realized that something just wasn’t right. I knew the system would overheat occasionally so when it did after playing rust for a few hours (Since I Didn’t  know how to get a laptop Cooler  In my area) it overheated and I didn’t stress too much. I reached out to my friend who told me it’s because it runs hot especially when it’s on battery. I tried to play my games unplugged as much as possible before I realised I use couldn’t do what I wanted on 30fps. It was annoying so I started experimenting and eventually found out that when I plug my charger in and it’s below 41% It will run at a smooth 60-69 Degrees. But as soon as the battery power reached 40% or more the fan speed would go max my temps would jump from 65 Degrees to 87-96 And it would overheat in about 30 Minutes. So what I did was just unplug and plug the charger back in so Could play on 80+ FPS  at least half the time. I had enough I just didn’t want to waste the pcs potential I recently just bought a 70$ laptop cooler but all it did was allow it to stop overheating just for a while longer (an extra 15 minutes I timed it) I’m pretty sick and fed up with it and I realized it probably had something to do with the over clocking thing, the requirements to overclock the system is the Battery must be plugged in and above 40%, and whenever my system starts to get to hot it is  when it gets to 40% in battery percentage.

Can someone please tell me how to stop it from instant over clocking or something as I worked for at least 2 years to save up for this and would never get over loosing something I poured my heart into. 

Thanks for anyone’s help in advance! 

P.S I have already gone through basic tech support, updated bios, Full factory Reset and even took it back to see if any of the parts were not working correctly. (Btw I’m still not to old enough to understand everything about Computers so if you can simplify it a bit more so I don’t accidentally damage anything)

Edit: I’m happy with how it still runs at 80+FPS when it’s on charger and running on 60-69 Degrees (Before battery hits 40% Charge) and I don’t think there’s even an FPS boost when it’s on 40%+ and on battery. 

Answers

• deadlyghost
    deadlyghost Member Posts: 58 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Could you be more specific regarding temperatures? Is the CPU overheating or the GPU? Regarding overclocking, i7-8750H is not an overclockable chip and Predator Sense only overclocks GPU by some 100-200 values.
    I have a Predator 15 which used to have overheating issues when I first bought it, at full loads it used to go up to 85 degrees. I opened up my laptop and changed the thermal paste for both CPU and GPU with Arctic MX-4 and now at full loads CPU temp goes up to 70-75 degrees max and on idle it's 40-45 degrees. A lot of Gaming Laptops have the issue of overheating which is mostly related to the low quality thermal paste.
  • tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    More than likely the fans and heat sink in the laptop are starting to collect dust and hair. This is the biggest cause of overheating, and probably the easiest to fix. If you can clean out the fans and fins on the heatsink you may see a drop in temperature.

Essentially, it sounds like because of the overheating you are taking the laptop on and off AC power to try and manipulate the power draw. However, as you've noticed, once the battery reaches a certain state of discharge the laptop begins to compensate with lowered performance in order to increase the remaining battery life. You're essentially helping keep the temperatures down by gaming on battery power which in turn limits the performance of the PC. A pretty effective bandaid for overheating.

I would proceed by first cleaning the laptop of any dust and hair as mentioned above. I'd then do some reading on 'thermal repaste' for your particular Helios 300 model. You can also research '8750H undervolt' which is another step that can be taken to reduce temperatures. If you are able to complete a repaste with the addition of an undervolt you should be able to keep the laptop much cooler.
  • Scout_131

Tinkerer

tobimaru said:
    More than likely the fans and heat sink in the laptop are starting to collect dust and hair. This is the biggest cause of overheating, and probably the easiest to fix. If you can clean out the fans and fins on the heatsink you may see a drop in temperature.

Essentially, it sounds like because of the overheating you are taking the laptop on and off AC power to try and manipulate the power draw. However, as you've noticed, once the battery reaches a certain state of discharge the laptop begins to compensate with lowered performance in order to increase the remaining battery life. You're essentially helping keep the temperatures down by gaming on battery power which in turn limits the performance of the PC. A pretty effective bandaid for overheating.

I would proceed by first cleaning the laptop of any dust and hair as mentioned above. I'd then do some reading on 'thermal repaste' for your particular Helios 300 model. You can also research '8750H undervolt' which is another step that can be taken to reduce temperatures. If you are able to complete a repaste with the addition of an undervolt you should be able to keep the laptop much cooler.
    Thanks for your help but I have already thoroughly cleaned my Laptop so that is not the problem and as for repaste While I sent it back the cpu was repasted 
  • Scout_131

Tinkerer

Could you be more specific regarding temperatures? Is the CPU overheating or the GPU? Regarding overclocking, i7-8750H is not an overclockable chip and Predator Sense only overclocks GPU by some 100-200 values.
    I have a Predator 15 which used to have overheating issues when I first bought it, at full loads it used to go up to 85 degrees. I opened up my laptop and changed the thermal paste for both CPU and GPU with Arctic MX-4 and now at full loads CPU temp goes up to 70-75 degrees max and on idle it's 40-45 degrees. A lot of Gaming Laptops have the issue of overheating which is mostly related to the low quality thermal paste.
    The Gpu temps both go up but I’ve noticed that they usually rise at the same time but the gpu only cooler by 2-5 Degrees 
  • Scout_131

Tinkerer

I might try to undervolt can anyone give me a basic toturial so I don’t break or damage anything?
  • deadlyghost
    deadlyghost Member Posts: 58 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    Scout_131 said:
    Thanks for your help but I have already thoroughly cleaned my Laptop so that is not the problem and as for repaste While I sent it back the cpu was repasted 
    Honestly, repasting that service centers provide is pretty much useless most of the times. They apply the same poor thermal paste and the result is the same, overheating.
    I'd suggest you look for a few tutorials on your laptop for reapplying thermal paste. It's easy to clean off the thermal paste and re-apply a new one. I'd suggest Arctic MX-4, you can even go for Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut if you want even better thermal conductivity.

As far as undervolting, there are many tutorials on youtube and articles on it, a quick google search will give you a list you can choose from. But I would suggest changing the thermal paste before undervolting your CPU. 
  • tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    There are links in my signature referencing undervolting guides, thermal repaste, etc. YouTube is a great source of information, just search your model number and the task you want to perform such as undervolt or repaste. HotelHero probably has the most informative videos.

It is not really possible to suggest an undervolt value for a system without testing it. As a general rule of thumb, I've found most Intel mobile chips will take -0.100v core/cache undervolt without complaint. Still, it is important to test this value for stability before moving on.

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    1. Check your power plan - windows 10 notoriously pushes to performance power plan. Get it to balanced.
    2. Disable unnecessary windows services, and disable options in settings that allows microsoft use your laptop as a update distribution hub.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045