Acer Chromebook acer c731-c8ve not charging

Options
Pecatonica
Pecatonica Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
There is no light indicating that it is charging.  Have tried different power cords from other working cbooks.  Have tried the power cord from these cbooks on other working cbooks and they are fine.  Replaced the battery.  Did not help.  Is the the charging port and can that be replaced.  Where to buy if so?

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    So there are something like 11 screws on the bottom that need to be removed, and then you turn it back right side up, open it and gently pry the top of the case off. It's easiest to start in the upper right and go clockwise. When the upper case is free all around carefully lift it off a bit and disconnect the keyboard cable. There is likely some tape holding the connector in place. Once the cable is off you can lift the upper case off and set it aside. The power input is at top left and has a cable that routes down to the motherboard... I think I have a pic of that.
    It's that black cable. Make sure it's solidly seated and if it is you should probably test for conductivity to make sure the jack isn't bad or the solder joints at the jack end. Acer's part number for it is 50.GM9N7.002.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Options
    Good night Pecatonica !

Is there no indication of charging light or no charging?
    If it is only light, it is possible that the led or any controller has been damaged.
    If it does not charge, it may be the power input connector.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• billsey
    Options
    The C731 has a DC IN jack that is removed from the motherboard. There is a cable between them. If either end is disconnected or the jack is shifted inwards you could see these symptoms. Are you still in warranty? If so contact either the vendor you bought it from (if a recent purchase) or Acer support if it's been a while. Either way let us know how it came out. If it's not in warranty and you are comfortable mucking around inside let us know and we'll get some more detailed ideas on how to get in there.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Pecatonica
    Options
    Thanks for your responses.  Unfortunately they are no longer in warranty.  Believe warranty expired Dec 2018.  There is no light and it does not charge.  Billsey I would very much appreciate if you could send details on how to get in there.  I can see where it is but may need a little more direction so I don't mess something else up in the process.

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    Options
    So there are something like 11 screws on the bottom that need to be removed, and then you turn it back right side up, open it and gently pry the top of the case off. It's easiest to start in the upper right and go clockwise. When the upper case is free all around carefully lift it off a bit and disconnect the keyboard cable. There is likely some tape holding the connector in place. Once the cable is off you can lift the upper case off and set it aside. The power input is at top left and has a cable that routes down to the motherboard... I think I have a pic of that.
    It's that black cable. Make sure it's solidly seated and if it is you should probably test for conductivity to make sure the jack isn't bad or the solder joints at the jack end. Acer's part number for it is 50.GM9N7.002.
  • Pecatonica
    Options
    Thank you so much.  I have it apart and think I will be ordering that part and hope that was the problem.  If not I will be back to post again.
  • billsey
    Options
    Yes, please let us know how it turns out.