Updating my Acer Windows XP - Acer Aspire 3690-2196

Options
AmyComer8385
AmyComer8385 Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I am trying to update my Acer Aspire 3690 from Windows XP to Windows 10. I downloaded the program I was told I needed to on my USB drive but I cannot get my Acer to boot with the USB no matter what I try to do. F2, F12....all of different USB options...nothing works. I have no clue what I am doing honestly.

Answers

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Options
    Follow the instructions from the link below, but instead of choosing GPT partition scheme, select MBR and FAT32 format.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• AmyComer8385
    Options
    I'm new to this site so maybe it's just me but I am not seeing a link with your comment. 

I'm using an Acer Aspire 3690-2196
    -Model number: not sure 
    -CPU: Intel Celeron M 420
    -GPU: not sure where to find this
    -Operating system: Windows XP
  • ven98
    Options
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• AmyComer8385
    Options
    So when I turn the computer on, hit F12, then select to boot from the USB I just get a black screen with a flashing space marker. Nothing else happens. I have no clue what I am doing wrong or why this is ending up to be so hard. 
  • ven98
    Options
    I assume you have tried setting the drive to MBR and FAT32 using rufus. I am not very familiar with windows XP, but it is possible that it could be interfering and not recognising the windows 10 boot drive, because it is an old OS.

Can you try disconnecting the HDD and see if you will be able to boot from the USB drive. If you are able to boot from the USB without and HDD, then you can try creating a windows XP boot drive, which you can use to format the drive. If you are still not able to boot from the USB with the HDD disconnected, then I don't think installing windows 10 will work on your machine.

Your system is 32bit, so you should be trying to install the 32bit version of windows 10, as 64bit won't work.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system