Need Help Restoring Acer Aspire S3-391-6616 Back to Factory Defaults (without CD)

aneor
aneor Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 2019 in Aspire Laptops
Hello, I have an Acer Apsire S3-391-6616 that I would like to clean up and give to my daughter to use for college.  I cannot find the disks that came with the laptop when I purchased it many moons ago so need some assistance in restoring the laptop back to the factory settings.  The laptop runs Windows 7 Home Premium.  The model number on the laptop is MS23456 or S3-391-6616 and the date of manufacture is April 30, 2012.

I have little to no experience with this type of thing.  I have tried using Alt+F10 at the Acer splash screen and that did not work.  I tried searching for the necessary software to do the restore online but I'm not actually certain what I should be searching for (boot cd?  drivers?).

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,773 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    You can also try to reset to ACER factory fresh condition from the hidden ACER recovery partition if it's still intact. This will also install all the correct factory drivers. Turn the machine completely off. Then turn it back on again and immediately press and hold ALT key while tapping the F10 key. A recovery screen should appear as in the video below. Just follow screen directios. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good night aneor !

Download the official Microsoft ISO for Windows 7 here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

After installation, download the drivers here: https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/4088?b=1

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• aneor
    edited March 2019
    Hi MaClane...
    When I put in the product key, Microsoft tells me this appears to be a product key for software pre-installed by the manufacturer and directs me back to the manufacturer (Acer).  Any thoughts on getting this type of download from Acer?  

Also, I do have a brand new, never installed Windows 8 CD... could I use this instead?  
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    You can also try to reset to ACER factory fresh condition from the hidden ACER recovery partition if it's still intact. This will also install all the correct factory drivers. Turn the machine completely off. Then turn it back on again and immediately press and hold ALT key while tapping the F10 key. A recovery screen should appear as in the video below. Just follow screen directios. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MaClane
    JackE disse:

The recovery partition was not deployed on devices at this time.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• MaClane
    aneor disse:
    Hi MaClane...
    When I put in the product key, Microsoft tells me this appears to be a product key for software pre-installed by the manufacturer and directs me back to the manufacturer (Acer).  Any thoughts on getting this type of download from Acer?  

Also, I do have a brand new, never installed Windows 8 CD... could I use this instead?  

If you have a valid keyed CD you can install it normally.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• JackE
    MaClane>>>the recovery partition was not deployed on devices at this time.>>>

This is news to me. As far as I know, the hidden PQ recovery partition has been an ACER staple since at least WinVista. My 2011 vintage Aspire One netbooks all have the hidden ACER partition accessible with the ALT+F10 cold boot method as long as the D2D recovery option is enabled in the BIOS main tab. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• MaClane
    JackE disse:
    MaClane>>>the recovery partition was not deployed on devices at this time.>>>

This is news to me. As far as I know, the hidden PQ recovery partition has been an ACER staple since at least WinVista. My 2011 vintage Aspire One netbooks all have the hidden ACER partition accessible with the ALT+F10 cold boot method as long as the D2D recovery option is enabled in the BIOS main tab. Jack E/NJ

Maybe some configuration by regions, since in Brazil the models only started to have the partition in versions of Windows 8 up.
    Some models with 7 came out with installation CD.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• JackE
    Yes, probably a regional thing. I'd actually rather have the factory CDs or USBs. But in the US, recovery only came on the hidden partition with a suggestion of making your own recovery CD or USB. Which most folks didn't do. So when the HDD or SSD failed, along with its hidden partition, you either had to buy the ACER recovery media or install a generic Windows version and download all the ACER drivers. You guys in Brazil were fortunate when you got the CDs along with your new computer.  :) Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• aneor
    Hi everyone, 
    Thanks for all of your assistance.  JackE, the first time I tried the Alt+F10 trick, it didn't work, but I did try it again after you suggested it and posted the video.  Must just have to get the keys down in the right order, at the right time.  After hours of updates (slow internet), my daughter is up and running with her newly restored laptop.
  • ty_buchanan
    ty_buchanan Member Posts: 4 New User
    Never attempt a factory reset on an Acer.

Acer Laptops are not, repeat not, stable. After starting a new Acer I tried to set up an extra partition. The laptop locked up. Had to take it back to where I bought it. Despite consumer laws dictating that the retailer is responsible for warranty issues in Australia, the retailer sent it to Acer. It was returned.

The note from Acer said that it had all been reset and don't try this stupid action again. Obviously, you cannot create another partition on an Acer.