Is it safe and reccommended to keep the CPU power limit to max and the GPU to Turbo while gaming?

predatorofman
predatorofman Member Posts: 62 Die Hard WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi to all!

My Predator Helios 500's i7-8750H CPU is undervolted for -0.140 mV ,and I I have set the CPU power limit to MAX always while I am gaming,so I would like to know if that is safe and reccommended?
And also does it affect the CPU temp?

I have also set the GPU to Turbo for every game.
Is this safe too?

Please tell me.
Thanks to all in advance.

Answers

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Unless you are trying to conserve battery power, it is not an issue. If, for example, you were idling at a high temperature like 70C and your fans were on their highest RPM setting all or most of the time that would be bad for the longevity of the hardware. More than likely though with your under-volt you're sitting closer to 35-40C idle or better and the fans might not even be running (ideal).

In short, as long as the temperatures are good and you are getting the performance you want those setting will not harm the hardware.
  • predatorofman
    Dear tobimaru,thank you for replying!

Exactly I am idling at around 35-40 degrees Celsius with the fans almost not working.
    I am using the CPU power limit to MAX,and the GPU at Turbo only while I am gaming,and the fans at auto.

While playing GTA V ,the CPU reaches around 74-78 degrees Celsius in the first 2-3 minutes, but with activating of the fans, which I have set to auto,the CPU temp stays at around 68-70 degrees Celsius .
    While the GPU never reaches 54 degrees Celsius.

I am only a little concerned about the duration of the gaming sessions. 

How much time can I play GTA V for an example with those temps,and the CPU fans at auto,(but with higher speeds )without damaging of the CPU?
  • strider16
    strider16 Member Posts: 123 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    Paranoid answer:
    Consider I had an acer laptop ten years ago which had problems with soldering:
    While the cpu and gpu dies can hold that heat, I'm not so sure that all soldering job around these devices, as well as soldering in vrm and other heat-generating stuff, likes temperature delta of 30, 40, 50°C, cycling every few minutes (from idle ~30°C to full ~80°C). I have an undervolted helios 300, 7700hq + 1060. I disabled turbo boost, CPU temps had delta > 30°C at every new program opened, and now it is below 20°C. If i need high performance I enable it, but not everytime.
    So, personally, I would be more relaxed if I had some evidence that soldering, board and every component can support heating cycles without deterioration, or that material used in gaming devices are more resistant than normal devices, but I really doubt that.

Normal answer:
    These are gaming devices, with robust cooling system and beefier vrm, they can sustain these power levels for long.

Nothing peaks at the same time...
    https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/33054103

• predatorofman
    Dear strider16,thank you for replying.

I have also disabled the turbo boost by setting the maximum processor state to 99%.

I use the Ultimate Performance power plan only while gaming.
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited March 2019
    Dear strider16,thank you for replying.

I have also disabled the turbo boost by setting the maximum processor state to 99%.

I use the Ultimate Performance power plan only while gaming.
    i dont think u would need to disable the turbo youre killing the beast i have acer laptops since 2008 and never had any issues and all still alive and kicking and the H500 shouldnt have any thermal issues best gaming laptop cooling system around

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    edited March 2019
    Hi to all!

My Predator Helios 500's i7-8750H CPU is undervolted for -0.140 mV ,and I I have set the CPU power limit to MAX always while I am gaming,so I would like to know if that is safe and reccommended?

Is this safe too?

Please tell me.
    Glaring question is... WHY?

See the two images below - in one i had even CPU turbo off, while in the other it was on. CPU and GPU both undervolted. CPU in lazy balanced mode, not even performance plan. And still I had consistent 60 fps. You do not need to max out CPU and GPU for performance - it could only end up making your system super hot that would in turn kick in thermal throttling.

Modern CPU and GPU scale up and down in frequencies based on load - as evident in the graphs below.

Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045
  • predatorofman
    edited March 2019
    sri369 said:
    Hi to all!

Is this safe too?

Please tell me.

See the two images below - in one i had even CPU turbo off, while in the other it was on. CPU and GPU both undervolted. CPU in lazy balanced mode, not even performance plan. And still I had consistent 60 fps. You do not need to max out CPU and GPU for performance - it could only end up making your system super hot that would in turn kick in thermal throttling.

Modern CPU and GPU scale up and down in frequencies based on load - as evident in the graphs below.

Thank you very much!
    Could you just tell me how do I undervolt the GTX 1070 GPU please?
  • sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,623 Pathfinder
    sri369 said:
    Hi to all!

Is this safe too?

Please tell me.

Thank you very much!
    Could you just tell me how do I undervolt the GTX 1070 GPU please?
    Check the threads in my signature - I have 1060. It is pretty much the same procedure for 1070 too... only things that would change would be frequencies and voltages... these you can always experiment. Also remember, in things like this, follow a cautious approach.
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
    ---------
    Nitro 7 - AN715-51 - user benchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/37631045