Switch 3 blue light is on but screen is black

Options
Tim_Hoare
Tim_Hoare Member Posts: 6 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi All,

My Switch 3 (SW312-31) is not booting up when the power button is pressed.  I've tried to reset via the standard Windows keys to reset the battery (On button with Volume Up for 30 secs and variants up to 60 secs), ensure the screen is not on display (Fn+F5), screen on/off (Fn+F6) and even stuck a pin in the microphone as the machine doesn't have a battery reset hole - all to no avail.

The issue arose when my son closed the keyboard at the end of a class and he hasn't been able to recover it.  I suspect the machine is in some type of sleep mode (Fn+F4) but again that doesn't work.

Any help would be appreciated - my son has a history test on Wednesday and is stressing that he'll be without his Switch.

Thanks,
Tim and Oliver.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,593 Trailblazer
    Options
    Press and hold the power button till the blue LED turns off. May take 10 seconds. Then turn it back on. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Tim_Hoare
    Options
    Sadly that didn't work and having tried again, I've got the same result.  Any other ideas?
  • Tim_Hoare
    Options
    BTW, thanks for your response JackE.
  • JackE
    Options
    You mean the blue light did not turn off? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Tim_Hoare
    Options
    The blue light turned off and when it restarted it (that is blue came back on) the screen was still black.  Thanks.
  • JackE
    Options
    Turn it off again including the blue LED off. With the KB attached, turn it back on and IMMEDIATELY start tapping the F2 key to see if the BIOS menu appears. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Tim_Hoare
    Options
    Thanks JackE - I should have mentioned that I'd previously tried this - although I did only hold the F2 key down.  I've tried again with no luck.  Thanks.
  • JackE
    Options
    OK. The only choice I can see at this point is to disconnect the battery pack to remove all charge. Without the pinhole battery reset, this is a chore. Starting near the audio jack, the tablet cover must be pried off to get at the battery connector (encircled in green below) which must be pulled off the mainboard in the red arrow direction. You will definitely break plastic catches in doing so but nothing color coordinated  duct tape can't handle. I'd leave it off for several hours to make sure no charge is left. Then plug the connector back in. Snap the cover back on. Plug the charger back in. Hope for the best. Then try to turn it back on again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Tim_Hoare
    Options
    Unfortunately that did not work.  This is really disappointing as the machine is only 18 months old.
  • JackE
    Options
    Sorry. Simply closing the KB on the pad shouldn't have caused a failure like this. At this point, I can only suggest trying to re-seat all the flexible ribbon connectors that are accessibile particularly the screen to the pad 's mainboard if possible. They could've been jarred loose or have some corrosion inside. If still no joy, and since it's out of warranty,  I suggest having a local shop take a look at it. But I fear the pad's mainboard has somehow been damaged. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,838 Trailblazer
    Options
    In case it's the display instead of the motherboard, try connecting a monitor to the USB-C port. If that gives you a desktop you'll know the issue is in the display.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.