Can I connect 2 cpu cooler fans to a mobo connector?

MarkkuS
MarkkuS Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
Hi, My model is ATC-705 desktop. I just recently upgraded the cpu from i5-4460 to i7-4790. I would further like to improve cpu cooling with Noctua NH-D9L with 2 fans (each 1,2 Watts, 100 mA). Originally the cpu had one fan stock cooler. Unfortunately, I had no success in the search of the motherboard specs, so has anybody any knowledge/experience, can mobo take this load of 2,4W/200 mA in cpu fan connector?

Thanks in advance, best regards MarkkuS

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,925 Trailblazer
    I really don't think there is a published spec on the power budget for the CPU fan. I would be very surprised however if it couldn't handle that load. 200mA isn't really a lot of power. Be aware that the four pin connector requires a PWM controlled fan and I have no idea what happens when you try to plug two separate fans in. I expect the PWM signal will be sent equally to both fans and they'll track the speeds, but it's also possible the signal will be halved and that might make it drop below threshold which would give you two fans that always run at minimum speed. I expect that Noctua could give you confirmation as to how it actually works.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MarkkuS
    MarkkuS Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
    Hi billsey, thanks for your comment.
    I have ordered the cooler and those fans are equal and PWM controlled, so, in that respect, they should behave similarly. But, yes, I understand, if the signal itself will deteoriorate, that may be the issue. I think I shall see it by testing when I receive the cooler. Maybe the cooler is just ok with one fan (the second is an option according to the manufacturer), but the case itself does not have a fan. And, there is even no connector for a system fan!

B.r: Markku