acer predator g3-710 makes a loud noise when turned on

gislimj
gislimj Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited February 15 in 2020 Archives
I´m currently using my laptop and am scared to use the pc, is there anything I can do to stop this noise? It occurred after a week ago, I tried dust cleaning it but that didn´t do anything. If anyone has a solution to this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Is there another fan? There are fans in the power supply, on the video card and sometimes attached to the case. It's possible it's something else, but it sounds to regular to be the HDD and that's really the only other moving part. If we can't figure it out then contacting Acer support is likely your best bet.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Rudy21
    Rudy21 ACE Posts: 1,789 Pathfinder
    gislimj said:
    I´m currently using my laptop and am scared to use the pc, is there anything I can do to stop this noise? It occurred after a week ago, I tried dust cleaning it but that didn´t do anything. If anyone has a solution to this problem it would be greatly appreciated.
    Try this and check if it does any effect.

1.Unplug the Power cord and other cables.
    2.Press and hold power button for 30 - 40 seconds.
    3.Re-connect the cables back and turn on the device.

Click on 'Yes' to accept my comment as answer
  • billsey
    Can you give us a video showing the noise? There are sooo many possibilities...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • gislimj
    Rudy21 said:
    gislimj said:
    Try this and check if it does any effect.

1.Unplug the Power cord and other cables.
    2.Press and hold power button for 30 - 40 seconds.
    3.Re-connect the cables back and turn on the device.

That didnt work :/
    billsey said:
    Can you give us a video showing the noise? There are sooo many possibilities...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCHvvhPl-y4 here you go
  • gislimj
    @billsey do you have a solution for this?
  • billsey
    That sure sounds like a wire rubbing on a fan. Open up the side and inspect, it's loud enough it should be easy to find.
  • gislimj
    billsey said:
    That sure sounds like a wire rubbing on a fan. Open up the side and inspect, it's loud enough it should be easy to find.
    hmm, here´s another video with the case open, the noise only comes when the pc is turned on. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjydwmrYIrw
  • gislimj
    @billsey
    I dont see any wire touching the fan when its running, what do you think is causing this noise?
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    Is there another fan? There are fans in the power supply, on the video card and sometimes attached to the case. It's possible it's something else, but it sounds to regular to be the HDD and that's really the only other moving part. If we can't figure it out then contacting Acer support is likely your best bet.
  • gislimj
    billsey said:
    Thanks for your help :) I´m just going to go to the repair shop and see if they see the issue.
  • billsey
    Be sure to let us know what they find... ;)
  • allu666
    allu666 Member Posts: 7 New User
    Old thread but what was the cause? I got the the same computer as a gift from friend and it has the same issue. The sound stops after the computer has warmed up and turned off and turned back on again..
  • allu666
    allu666 Member Posts: 7 New User
    This seems an common problem with these desktops and I located the issue with mine, it was the psu fan and I wad able to fix the issue for now by pressing the fan a litte bit, seems like its gonna need an replacement.
  • billsey
    Good that you pinned it down, often the PSU fan is overlooked when diagnosing this type of thing. @gislimj never did get back to us with what they found...
  • gislimj
    billsey said:
    Good that you pinned it down, often the PSU fan is overlooked when diagnosing this type of thing. @gislimj never did get back to us with what they found...
    Yeah I apologize, the fan was destroyed and I had to get a new one.
  • billsey
    Yeah, that happens sometimes. At least a good fan is a pretty easy fix. I assume you found it to be the CPU fan and not the PSU fan that @allu666 found? That's why we try to get people to open their own thread, so a solution can be marked for the specific problem. :)
  • gislimj
    billsey said:
    Yeah, that happens sometimes. At least a good fan is a pretty easy fix. I assume you found it to be the CPU fan and not the PSU fan that @allu666 found? That's why we try to get people to open their own thread, so a solution can be marked for the specific problem. :)
    Yeah, I think it was the CPU fan.
  • Manny-Acer_Retired
    Manny-Acer_Retired Newbie Posts: 4,453 Guru
    Note: Thread closed due to its age, if you experience this problem and have tried the recommended steps and it still does not work, you can contact the Acer technical support in your country https://www.acer.com/worldwide/ or you can create a new question for other users to try to solve with their advice.

Acer-Manny
This discussion has been closed.