Factory installed Intel Optane memory can't be detected?

Lotek
Lotek Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives

A few weeks back, I reformatted an external hard drive and had to update a few drivers. After downloading the updates, I restarted the computer and received got a "CMOS Checksum error" in BIOS.

Tried to restart it in safe mode to restore it to a point I had saved last week. Normally, this should take only 15-30 minutes but it ended up being stuck on the "System restore is restoring the registry" screen for over 4+ hours, leading me to believe something is wrong with the computer's registry. After the system restore I looked into the computers event log to find multiple hardware errors, as well as no Optane memory modules installed onto the computer.

When I try to enable it in Intel RST then I just get the message: "Your system appears to be Intel Optane memory ready but no Intel Optane memory modules were detected on your computer." I've checked BIOS and RST is enabled in. Any ideas?

Brand: Acer Aspire-TC-865
Processor Type: Intel® Core™ i5-8400
Motherboard:
Intel B360
Memory:
8 GB + 16 GB Intel Optane
Storage:
1 TB Serial ATA/600
Graphics card:
AMD RX 570 OC 8 GB
Power Supply: Corsair CX550M

Answers

• Lotek
    I'm not sure if these will be useful but I've attached some images and the report from Intel Support Utility Tool

1. Intel RST Status:

2. Screenshot of Disk Management:

3. Intel RST - Intel Optane Memory Tab:

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,925 Trailblazer
    edited March 2019
    Have you tried removing and reinstalling the Optane module?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Lotek
    billsey said:
    Have you tried removing and reinstalling the Optane module?
    How would I go about doing that? I'm looking at the m.2 slot behind the Sata connections on the motherboard and it doesn't look like anything is inserted into it? 

Here is a picture of the whole inside for reference: 

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,925 Trailblazer
    Well, that certainly explains the "Your system appears to be Intel Optane memory ready but no Intel Optane memory modules were detected on your computer" message. You don't have any Optain memory installed, but your BIOS thinks it is. Try booting to BIOS and doing a reset to defaults to see if it fixes itself.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.