Repasted my GPU and CPU still getting pretty bad temperatures.

Derryck
Derryck Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2020 Archives
Hey everyone,

I used ARrtic Silver 5 to repaste my GPU and CPU. Tested out fortnite and I'm still getting pretty bad temps. Have it undervolted to about negative 1.50 and and I'm running after burn with Opoka's settings. I also have my system optimized. Any ideas what I could do or arent doing. ATtached photo

Answers

• Order_66
    Order_66 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

Hopefully you spread that paste out to a thin layer instead of leaving it the way it is in the pic, if you left it that way then there's a good chance you don't have full coverage, the holding pressure for the cooler is much lower with a laptop than a desktop, you might get full coverage but it's a big risk.
  • tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    What were the CPU/GPU temperatures before/after repaste? "Pretty bad temps" is very vague. If you went from 95C to 85C, that's a significant drop!

If you noticed NO difference after repasting then I agree with @Order_66 in that your application may not have spread over the whole die or mounting pressure may not be correct. No harm in double checking things.

My last bit of advice is never copy settings online when tuning. There are just too many variables and what one chip runs stable another may not. You can always start with a settings scheme from a source of your choosing and then begin tuning from there. I'd simply advise against copying another card's voltage curve, pasting it over, and calling it done because it runs stable on another system somewhere. This is nit-picking though...
  • Derryck

Tinkerer

Order_66 said:
    Hopefully you spread that paste out to a thin layer instead of leaving it the way it is in the pic, if you left it that way then there's a good chance you don't have full coverage, the holding pressure for the cooler is much lower with a laptop than a desktop, you might get full coverage but it's a big risk.
    So I laid the heat sink over it (as all these videos have told me to do) thinking that would be enough to spread it out. After I actually lifted the heat sink again...and placed a little more paste and spread it out with a tooth pick ...testing it now
  • Derryck

Tinkerer

tobimaru said:
    What were the CPU/GPU temperatures before/after repaste? "Pretty bad temps" is very vague. If you went from 95C to 85C, that's a significant drop!

If you noticed NO difference after repasting then I agree with @Order_66 in that your application may not have spread over the whole die or mounting pressure may not be correct. No harm in double checking things.

My last bit of advice is never copy settings online when tuning. There are just too many variables and what one chip runs stable another may not. You can always start with a settings scheme from a source of your choosing and then begin tuning from there. I'd simply advise against copying another card's voltage curve, pasting it over, and calling it done because it runs stable on another system somewhere. This is nit-picking though...
    So initially even with undervolt and afterburner..I would get high 80's and sometimes 92-95. After my first repaste I was getting high 90's. I was told I put too much. I redid it...was getting high 90's again...was told I put too little (but i actually did after checking the heat sink). I now think I have a good balance of paste on both and am currently testing it out. After seeing so many people say they're getting 70-80 that's what I'm aiming for ..but maybe I'm being unrealistic?? Also you can you speak more on the mounting pressure? I don't really understand that
  • tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    @Derryck There's not much to it other than ensuring the heatsink lays flat across both dies and you have all of the screws fully turned down. No need to torque them down hard, just ensure they stop turning. It's easy to miss and probably why everyone mentions it. It's more of a variable on desktops with various aftermarket heatsinks that use threaded posts that have nearly unlimited adjustment. You can screw them down so tight you snap the motherboard, or so loose it makes bad contact.

Back to point; What is your ambient temperature? 19-20C or hotter? That is the range I am in currently and will see 80-81C on CPU after several hours gaming. GPU usually 75-76C max peak. I feel this is the best the Nitro 5 can do. Other than the repaste, undervolt, CoolBoost enable, and Windows tweaks I've simply removed the fine mesh filter from the lower panel of the laptop to allow for slightly more airflow to the fans. I don't believe this mesh filter removal is a huge difference made but I do think it may give you 1-2C on a good day.

What's your exact laptop model? i5, i7?
  • Derryck

Tinkerer

Part Number: NH.Q3DAA.005
    Operating SystemWindows 10 Home
    ProcessorIntel® Core™ i7-8750H processor Hexa-core 2.20 GHz
    GraphicsNVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 with 6 GB Dedicated Memory
    Screen17.3" Full HD (1920 x 1080) 16:9 IPS
    Memory16 GB, DDR4 SDRAM
    Storage512 GB SSD
  • Derryck

Tinkerer

I've also read my version of the Helios handles undervolting or the power limit than other models. I don't know how true that is though
  • layne17
    layne17 Member Posts: 4 New User
    Order_66 said:
    You might don't have idea what you're talking about in this laptop, if you spread the paste all over the CPU and/or GPU, when you put the heatsink back it'll totally spread the paste out of the components!
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,254 Pathfinder
    edited March 2020
    To start with this thread its really old now has one year theres no point in even reply/reviving it again because the OP haven even said anything else but ill reply anyway and if the op doesnt reply ill inform the staff to prob close it

Derryck AS5 its no good its a bad paste it was premium good 7/8 years ago i suggest you to repaste it with kryonaut or similar and use the spread method thats the best way to make sure you have it properly repasted just a thin layer covering both diodes its enough too much paste its bad but again it all depends on what temps you have now good luck :)

layne17 yes it will spread but might also gain bubbles if he moves the heatsink while putting it back so no that method its not the best for laptops the spread is the best method i repasted loads and never had a single issue and kryonaut dropped my temps 25+ down and all that paste he got in (besides not being good at all its just rubbish now) it will definitely drip out of the diodes for sure

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/