Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    Yes, vacuum the end closest to black part next to fan. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mr_Ghost1
    Mr_Ghost1 Member Posts: 18

Tinkerer

So I tried to vacuum on the red circle area and blew compressed air. Into the that area to try and break up anything close to it. The black vent thing attached to it made it kind of difficult.. But surprisingly the fan started working great for a day. But today it's back to making a weird noise and getting hot very quick again...

Like I said before I could not get screw number 4 and 5 off, they are stripped.. but not sure if they needed to come off anyways, because there isn't anything under it to clean right?

The fan part I bought won't be here for a few weeks to a month...
  • JackE
    >>>I could not get screw number 4 and 5 off, they are stripped.. but not sure if they needed to come off anyways, because there isn't anything under it to clean right?>>>

It's a tube that directs cooling air from the fan to the CPU and GPU under where the screws are. Accordingly, it really should be vacuumed near the black part, not blown into the black part. Blowing the black part will only force more dirt to crowd onto the top of the CPU and GPU chips encircled in yellow in the above image. Put a vacuum cleaner hose as close to the black part as you can...use your hands to help direct vacuum to black part. Do NOT vacuum over the screws or you'll just be sucking more dirt into the CPU & GPU chips. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mr_Ghost1

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>I could not get screw number 4 and 5 off, they are stripped.. but not sure if they needed to come off anyways, because there isn't anything under it to clean right?>>>

It's a tube that directs cooling air from the fan to the CPU and GPU under where the screws are. Accordingly, it really should be vacuumed near the black part, not blown into the black part. Blowing the black part will only force more dirt to crowd onto the top of the CPU and GPU chips encircled in yellow in the above image. Put a vacuum cleaner hose as close to the black part as you can...use your hands to help direct vacuum to black part. Do NOT vacuum over the screws or you'll just be sucking more dirt into the CPU & GPU chips. Jack E/NJ
    I did this again a little bit ago and like last time it starts to work great for a little bit... This time it was a bit shorter though. Then the fan tries to speed up VERY fast and makes a loud noise, then suddenly it goes quiet and seems to stop working all together... Very frustrating , not sure what else I could do.. The fan was very dirty, but I cleaned it very good. Put the black part by the heat sink you told me to into the vaccum hose for a good 2 minutes trying to suck anything it had close in out.
  • JackE
    >>>The fan part I bought won't be here for a few weeks to a month...>>>

We'll have to wait till you get the new fan part. I think the bearings in the old fan are beyond repair. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mr_Ghost1

Tinkerer

edited March 2019
    JackE said:
    >>>The fan part I bought won't be here for a few weeks to a month...>>>

We'll have to wait till you get the new fan part. I think the bearings in the old fan are beyond repair. Jack E/NJ
    such a bummer...

not sure why everytime I take it apart and try to clean it, it starts working great and my laptop is running fine for like 10 minutes , then it just starts going crazy. So weird

Anyways, Thank you so much for your continued help on this JackE. Very appreciated
  • JackE
     Bad dirty bearings act like that. You can mechanically get them spinning with a strong blast of air or vacuum from a vacuum  cleaner. But the motor that drives them is so low power, that eventually dirt works its way back into the bearing surfaces and drags the motor down again. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mr_Ghost1

Tinkerer

JackE said:
     Bad dirty bearings act like that. You can mechanically get them spinning with a strong blast of air or vacuum from a vacuum  cleaner. But the motor that drives them is so low power, that eventually dirt works its way back into the bearing surfaces and drags the motor down again. Jack E/NJ
    Gotcha.. as I read and type this my fan started making the weird noise again like it's trying to work but makes a loud vibration .

Stinks the only fans I could find online were from China..
  • Mr_Ghost1

Tinkerer

So I tore it down again. I actually manged to get the heat sink off, those screws were just stubborn. I vacuumed the end with the black filter part to try and get any dirt clogged up. Then I tried to move the fan, and it was being kinda resistant when you tried to spin it. So it was pretty obvious the bearings in it is messed up. Since I already ordered another fan, I just went ahead and tried to temp fix it with some wd-40 oil on the inside center close to the bearings as I could get. Tried to spin it my self after wards and seemed to spin ALOT better. I re assemble everything and the fan sounds like it's working.. But I turn on SPECCY to get the temp of my cpu,graphic card,and storage.

CPU
        Intel Core i5 @ 2.30GHz    43 °C
        Skylake-U/Y 14nm Technology

Graphics
        Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
        Intel HD Graphics 520 (Acer Incorporated [ALI])
        4095MB NVIDIA GeForce 940M (Acer Incorporated [ALI])    90 °C
        ForceWare version: 382.05
        SLI Disabled

Storage
        931GB Western Digital WDC WD10JPVX-22JC3T0 (SATA )    37 °C

For some reason my Graphics card is running EXTREMELY hot all the sudden. Even at idle. But my cpu is running a lot cooler. Before my CPU would get hot aswell with the graphics card ...

Any idea what the problem is

• JackE
    Now that you've got those screws out, you better run a pipe cleaner or some kind of soft flexible probe through the whole length of that tube because it sounds like there's junk still trapped inside that's not letting air cool that chip. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Mr_Ghost1

Tinkerer

edited March 2019
    JackE said:
    Now that you've got those screws out, you better run a pipe cleaner or some kind of soft flexible probe through the whole length of that tube because it sounds like there's junk still trapped inside that's not letting air cool that chip. Jack E/NJ
    Okay I will do that next time. But how do I get something inside the orange sink to clean it? I do not see a opening for me to clean inside.

I just took it apart AGAIN and put it back together so I am going to see if what I did just worked. I think I accidentally rubbed off some of the thermal paste when I took it off. So I applied some tooth paste for a temp fix until then thermal paste I just bought off amazon gets here. I believe it worked. My GPU is setting at 45 Celsius now.

• JackE
    That tube must have an air exhaust hole somewhere above at least one of the chips, probably the last chip on the left in the above image between #4 and #5 screws. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ