Acer Switch 5 able set close open lid without switching monitors

Options
danieltan23
danieltan23 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
As my table is rather small, I often flip the lid up to clear space and pull it down when I need to use the keyboard. while i have set the option for lid close to "do nothing" it only means it won't go to sleep. the monitor keep switching from external to internal and I have to switch it back manually. anyway to make it stay external?

Best Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    A regedit tweak probably exists to prevent re-detecting/re-identifying and defaulting to the lid screen and graphics settings when it comes back on. But I haven't found it yet. And I must weigh the risk of disabling the system or creating another issue just to address an annoyance. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    As long as you export a copy of it, you should be fine tweaking the registry. If a registry change messes up the system, you can always get back to the way it was by importing the copy. Or, if worse comes to worse, via an ALT+F10 cold boot factory reset. Just don't make any major changes. Try little ones at a time like changing a value that might be listed as 0x0000002 to 0x0000000 . If it was mine, however, I would live with the annoyance/quirk rather than risk causing even bigger annoyances or worse. Almost like if it ain't really broke, don't try to fix it.  :o My own machines exhibit similar peculiarities but not enough for me to waste time trying to get rid of them to get things running 'perfect'. The next Windows update would probably just screw them or something else up again. The interplay between hardware and software is never perfect. Why do you think Windows or any other OS updates seem to be never ending? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Options
    Depending on the laptop, there's a lid closing point beyond which the laptop screen will switch off to protect it from thermal damage with a fully closed lid. Accordingly, you can do what I do when I also use an external monitor on my smallish 42" wide desk. Affix a simple wedge near the bottom of the keyboard to prevent the lid from fully closing and switching the laptop screen off. When the lid is lifted from this almosty fully closed position, the laptop screen is still on and the external monitor is not auto switched off. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• danieltan23
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. any settling I can adjust? like to be able to keep the laptop's monitor off when not using.
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    A regedit tweak probably exists to prevent re-detecting/re-identifying and defaulting to the lid screen and graphics settings when it comes back on. But I haven't found it yet. And I must weigh the risk of disabling the system or creating another issue just to address an annoyance. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• danieltan23
    Options
    I'm not that familiar with regedit setting to use. could you walk me thru?
  • JackE
    Options
    Press the WIN key + R key. Enter 'regedit'. The registry editor app appears. You should always make a copy of the registry before making any changes to it because it could disable the machine. To do this you export a copy of the registry to a text file under the File tab. However, I strongly urge you not to play around with making changes the registry if you're not familiar with it. You can search for word, value and phrase strings that include the word lid in the Edit tab. It may turn up hits which have values (such as 0 and 1) that could disable or enable certain lid functions. The functions are not always described in plain English but use programming shorthand. The registry editor is not an easy tool to simply walk you thru unless I had remote access to play around with it myself. Sorry. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    You might be able to get it working as you expect by pressing Win-P and then choosing Second Screen Only.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • danieltan23
    Options
    billsey said:
    You might be able to get it working as you expect by pressing Win-P and then choosing Second Screen Only.
    Hi Billsey, I been choosing that. the issue is whenever it goes to sleep it doesn't work and I have to pull out the usbc-hdmi cable out and plug it back in. I have a separate issue with keyboard not working after sleep and I have to again plug it out and in. so I'm constantly pulling things out and in. Switch 5 is the worse sleeper ever...
  • danieltan23
    Options
    JackE said:
    Press the WIN key + R key. Enter 'regedit'. The registry editor app appears. You should always make a copy of the registry before making any changes to it because it could disable the machine. To do this you export a copy of the registry to a text file under the File tab. However, I strongly urge you not to play around with making changes the registry if you're not familiar with it. You can search for word, value and phrase strings that include the word lid in the Edit tab. It may turn up hits which have values (such as 0 and 1) that could disable or enable certain lid functions. The functions are not always described in plain English but use programming shorthand. The registry editor is not an easy tool to simply walk you thru unless I had remote access to play around with it myself. Sorry. Jack E/NJ
    Understood. Thanks. Gosh, registry sounds like dangerous things to mess with. any other way? :( 
  • JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    As long as you export a copy of it, you should be fine tweaking the registry. If a registry change messes up the system, you can always get back to the way it was by importing the copy. Or, if worse comes to worse, via an ALT+F10 cold boot factory reset. Just don't make any major changes. Try little ones at a time like changing a value that might be listed as 0x0000002 to 0x0000000 . If it was mine, however, I would live with the annoyance/quirk rather than risk causing even bigger annoyances or worse. Almost like if it ain't really broke, don't try to fix it.  :o My own machines exhibit similar peculiarities but not enough for me to waste time trying to get rid of them to get things running 'perfect'. The next Windows update would probably just screw them or something else up again. The interplay between hardware and software is never perfect. Why do you think Windows or any other OS updates seem to be never ending? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ