Updating the CPU on a i7-6700?

SteveMiller
SteveMiller Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
Hey.. looking for some pointers if possible. I have the Aspire T3-710 and as for music production goes it was fine. Now i'm shifting into the category of video/film editing... and the videos in question are 4k... a real struggle for my current setup. Just a single 4k clip in adobe premier maxes out my CPU to a solid 100% upon pressing play .. which gives as we all know stuttery playback and a challenging edit. Can this machines CPU be upgraded? Im not too tech on the insides of a PC .. i've changed ram before and a hard drive thats about my limit so far... but can the CPU or motherboard be upgraded to handle such a load or am i looking at a new setup? .. if it can be upgraded .. would someone recommend what sort of upgraded part i would need? many thanks 

Answers

• SteveMiller

Tinkerer

That thread title .. that should have been upgrading not updating ... if only it was as easy as updating :)  
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    I would say you need a new setup. The best CPU you can put on this motherboard is i7 6700k, which is slightly faster and as the motherboard doesn't support overclocking, you can't overclock the CPU. This means that a new motherboard and a new CPU is needed. Swapping to i7 6700k will almost make no difference. 
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• SteveMiller

Tinkerer

thanks ven98. the i7-6700 is what its running now.. so will I have to buy a whole new desktop or can I buy a more adequate motherboard that will run in this machine? 
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    As you are doing a video rendering work at 4k, I suspect you will need a CPU with more cores. To cool these more cores you will need a better cooler, better case to support good airflow and a new motherboard for the CPU. With these things in mind it depends on you whether you want a new system or upgrade this one.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!