Dead laptop , only white screen Acer Aspire 5222

Options
2»

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,481 Trailblazer
    Options
    I haven't heard reports of Win10 messing up old BIOS firmware. And you say that the TV set also displays a blank white screen when the system is first turned on? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kristofkiss
    kristofkiss Member Posts: 16

Tinkerer

Options
    No, the tv or monitor doesn't display anything with either HDMI or VGA. Yesterday I noticed that the ODD drive starts up as usual, maybe that still works, is it possible to do a flash with a CD?
  • JackE
    Options
    BIOS boot section is only set to read firmware from one of the USB ports. That if this section still alive or its UNrechargeable CMOS coin battery isn't shorting the chip out. As noted earlier, the coin battery is probably 10 or more years old so it should be changed or at least removed in case it's shorted to see if it clears up the issue. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ

• kristofkiss

Tinkerer

Options
    Turns out that the gpu bga was faulty, so this is the end of the laptop's life.

• JackE
    Options
    (1) How was this determined?
    (2) If it was the BGA then a solder reflow might work.

Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kristofkiss

Tinkerer

Options
    (1) I asked one of my teachers and we disassembled the laptop and inspected the motherboard, the PCB was a bit discoloured around the GPU, then we started to heat it up with a heat gun, but we couldn't fix it. However we did a little progress, now the screen shows horizontal lines instead of blank white.
    (2) I did some research and found that it is a common problem with Acer Aspire 5xxx series. I decided that the fix isn't worth for this laptop, so I sold the still working pieces.
  • JackE
    Options
    Not unusual to have discoloring or fading around the CPU/GPU. They normally get hot. A solder reflow is done on the whole board, not just around an individual component. The whole board, minus any plastic jumpers or connectors, is usually placed on an aluminum foil sheet in a toaster oven preheated to about 425*F for about 10-15 minutes. Jack E/NJ  

Jack E/NJ