Low FPS on new Laptop Predator Helios 300

FalconN
FalconN Member Posts: 16

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hey!

I recently bought an Acer Predator Helios 300. it has a refresh rate of 144Hz and a GTX1060 Graphics Card. The game I am currently playing is Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and when I go to YouTube, People often get 250-300FPS with their Predator Helios 300. However, as I launched mine, it was only running at 20-100FPS. Very inconsistent and bouncy. I hope for a fix to this issue. Thank you. Also, the battery runs out really quickly, is that normal?

Best Answers

• sri369
    sri369 ACE Posts: 2,749 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    Also, I looked at your user benchmark. For some reason it seems to point the issue towards your RAM.

Can you try running a memory diagnostic and check the results. Process below.

To launch the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool, open the Start menu, type “Windows Memory Diagnostic”, and press Enter.

You can also press Windows Key + R, type “mdsched.exe” into the Run dialog that appears, and press Enter.

You’ll need to reboot your computer to perform the test. While the test is happening, you won’t be able to use your computer.

To agree to this, click “Restart now and check for problems (recommended)”. Be sure to save your work first. Your computer will immediately restart.

Your computer will restart and the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool screen will appear. Just leave it be and let it perform the test. This may take several minutes. During this process, you’ll see a progress bar and a “Status” message will inform you if any problems have been detected during the process.

However, you don’t need to watch the test–you can leave your computer alone and come back to see the results later.

-----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
    ACCEPT - if helped resolve
  • sri369
    Answer ✓
    FalconN said:
    i did see a slight increase, although it's still lower than expected. Is there some sort of special settings I need to set?
    Check the threads in my signature :-)
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful

Answers

• sri369
    FalconN said:
    Hey!

I recently bought an Acer Predator Helios 300. it has a refresh rate of 144Hz and a GTX1060 Graphics Card. The game I am currently playing is Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and when I go to YouTube, People often get 250-300FPS with their Predator Helios 300. However, as I launched mine, it was only running at 20-100FPS. Very inconsistent and bouncy. I hope for a fix to this issue. Thank you. Also, the battery runs out really quickly, is that normal?
    1. There are multiple threads here to explain how to optimize system in multiple ways to get better FPS.
    2. Gaming laptops are not designed to be played heavy games like the ones you mentioned while on battery. You need to connected to power source.
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
  • FalconN

Tinkerer

i tried optimising but the game now runs at a more constant 50-60 FPS which is very odd
  • sri369
    edited March 2019
    vsync? fps limit?
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
  • FalconN

Tinkerer

I switched off VSync and there is no limit
  • sri369
    if you have any plotting tool... can you plot the following:
    CPU freq
    CPU usage
    CPU temp
    GPU freq
    GPU usage
    GPU temp

If you don't have any tool, you can install MSI Afterburner.
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
  • FalconN

Tinkerer

edited March 2019
    So I tried using UserBenchmark. But I'm not sure what's wrong because I don't have knowledge on computers. All I know is that 20-100FPS inconsistent is not usual for a laptop like this one

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/15349302

Edit: sorry to bother but I'm not sure how to plot
  • sri369
    I just told you... try installing MSI Afterburner. It shows you a panel with graphs. On it, select the ones I mentioned above. This is to know how your laptop's CPU and GPU fare when you are gaming, if they are being throttled n such. Also make sure you are connected to power and not gaming on battery.
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
  • sri369
    Answer ✓
    Also, I looked at your user benchmark. For some reason it seems to point the issue towards your RAM.

Can you try running a memory diagnostic and check the results. Process below.

To launch the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool, open the Start menu, type “Windows Memory Diagnostic”, and press Enter.

You can also press Windows Key + R, type “mdsched.exe” into the Run dialog that appears, and press Enter.

You’ll need to reboot your computer to perform the test. While the test is happening, you won’t be able to use your computer.

To agree to this, click “Restart now and check for problems (recommended)”. Be sure to save your work first. Your computer will immediately restart.

Your computer will restart and the Windows Memory Diagnostics Tool screen will appear. Just leave it be and let it perform the test. This may take several minutes. During this process, you’ll see a progress bar and a “Status” message will inform you if any problems have been detected during the process.

However, you don’t need to watch the test–you can leave your computer alone and come back to see the results later.

-----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
  • tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Your laptop runs in a different power state when on battery power. If you're gaming on battery power, you're only getting a fraction of the performance as Windows attempts to conserve battery life.

Plug-in and retest. You'll likely see higher FPS.

• FalconN

Tinkerer

i did see a slight increase, although it's still lower than expected. Is there some sort of special settings I need to set?
  • sri369
    Answer ✓
    FalconN said:
    Check the threads in my signature :-)
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful
  • FalconN

Tinkerer

oddly enough, when I run Sniper Elite 4 at lowest settings and 720p, it runs at 10-20FPS. 
  • FalconN

Tinkerer

quick question does performance get affected A LOT if i unplug the charger
  • sri369
    FalconN said:
    quick question does performance get affected A LOT if i unplug the charger
    Yes!
    Gaming laptops need LOTS of power! Battery alone cannot supply that, plus GPU gets speed throttled when on battery.
    Infact these laptops, when connected to charger, pull some power from battery too when playing very demanding games.
    -----
    Karma...
    LIKE - if helpful