I tried to replace my laptop’s battery and turned my laptop into a desktop

Sellios
Sellios Member Posts: 1 New User
edited April 12 in 2019 Archives

I have an Acer Aspire E laptop. It’s a few years old, so the battery couldn’t hold much charge anymore, otherwise, I had no problems with it. I bought a new battery off Alibaba and attempted to install it myself after watching a video on how to do it. I kept grounding myself after opening up the case.

After switching the batteries, the laptop could not turn on. When I plug in the AC cord, everything works fine. But without the cable, the laptop doesn’t even turn on. I tried putting the old battery back, which had no problems, and it’s the same issue.

I can tell the laptop, and Windows, can see the battery is there because I can use software to read the battery’s model and capacity. I can do this on both batteries. From within Windows, everything looks fine. It even says the battery is “plugged in, charging” (again, both batteries). But the percent charge never increases, and no matter how long I leave it plugged in, as soon as I unplug it, the laptop dies.

So far, I’ve tried uninstalling AC devices from Windows and updating my BIOS. Neither helped. Does anyone have any ideas of what happened or how to fix it?