Hello All. New guy here -Acer A717-G72

Thick8
Thick8 Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited September 2023 in 2019 Archives
Impatiently awaiting my new Aspire A717-G72 from Newegg that I ordered today. Just downloaded the manual and am reading about it. My plan is to update the BIOS, then get rid of the unnecessary bloatware. I am considering doing a Windows refresh but I may loose some Acer software that I should probably keep. Any suggestions on this?
I will also be updating all of the drivers. Most of the ones on the Acer website were last updated in April of last year. Should I get new drivers from the vender websites? 
Any help would be appreciated as I have always build my own desktops so this is my first foray into gamer laptop territory.
Thanks.
John

Comments

• Commodore_1995#
    Commodore_1995# ACE Posts: 98,305 Trailblazer
    edited March 2019
    I do not advise you to update the bios, since version 1.22 has a feature to turn off the backlight keyboard even if the notebook is connected to the power adapter!
    About bloatwares, I agree with the uninstallation. In the meantime I would keep acer quick access and the acer care center!
    The 1809 version of windows 10 is considered the most stable currently. However, some gamers prefer windows 7 x64.
    About updating the drivers, the drivers provided by Acer are optimized for your model. However, I do not see any problem upgrading to the component manufacturers driver, unless an older driver is better optimized for gaming!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • Thick8

Tinkerer

I was reading that intel made some significant updates to the BIOS microcode so I will definitely be installing that. Also, this will be a VR development rig using a Samsung Odyssey + so I will have to have the latest Windows developer build. I will need the latest graphics drivers as well. Just wasn’t sure about the chipset and other drivers. Are they proprietary to Acer like the Dell drivers or are they just the basic driver?
    thanks for your help. I will keep the Acer specific software you mentioned.
  • Thick8

Tinkerer

I plan on just turning off the keyboard backlighting. Is there a hard switch for it or is it software controlled? Hard switch would be nice so I don’t have to go digging around in the registry.
  • Hello! Version 1.24 of bios has not yet fixed the problem with the backlight keyboard. The chipset drivers are provided by intel. I like to use the driverbooster or driverpack programs, just to update the drivers, but it is necessary to uninstall the programs that they ask to install!
    To turn off the backlight keyboard, you need fn + f9!
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :)