Can the entire SW5-111 tablet shut down if it loses its connection with the keyboard?( Acer Switch S

VeraBorisova
VeraBorisova Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi there,
in mid-February my Acer Switch SW5-111 started to shut down completely, as if it suddenly loses power, when I try to close the lid when docked on the keyboard or push it backwards further than 90° angle. I brought it to a service shop, where they told me that the problem is with the keyboard and I should either get a new one or use the tablet without it entirely. However, this doesn't make any sense, because the tablet continues to work just fine even if the keyboard is pulled out without any notice. So why should the entire tablet shut down as if it has no battery, when the connection with the keyboard is lost? Does anyone else had this problem?

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    edited March 2019
    Without the keyboard attached, does the machine also unexpectedly shut off if you apply moderate finger pressure on various spots around the screen back cover? If not, again without the keyboard attached, grasping the bottom and top of the screen with both hands and applying moderate front to back pressure (as if pushing the top backwards and pulling bottom toward you), does the machine shut off?     Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• VeraBorisova
    Thank you for the suggestions, but no, it didn't shut off when I tried that.
  • JackE
    I think both the KB dock and tablet are fine. However,  the physical connection between them --- the plug connector and receiver connector --- may both have dirty contacts. So I suggest you turn the system completely off. Then simply re-seat the KB dock connector and tablet dock connector a dozen or so times. Meaning to repeatedly connect & disconnect them to try to clean their contacts. Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ

• VeraBorisova
    I tried that, but the problem still remains. Also the tablet didn't want to switch on after the re-seating. I forgot to mention that when it shuts down unexpectedly on the dock, it doesn't want to switch on and I have to open the tablet, pull out the cables going from the battery to the processor and then connect them again. Only then the tablet will switch on. The guy from the service shop said I was resetting the battery that way.

Also the tablet shuts down when pushed forward or backwards on the keyboard even after I removed the keyboard through "safely remove hardware", which means it can't be because it's losing connection to the keyboard. Previously to this problem I've had the keyboard suddenly disconnecting because of a loose connection to the tablet, but it did not cause the entire tablet to shut down. The only logical thing I can think of is that the plastic pegs of the keyboard that go inside the tablet when it's docked are causing some pressure on power cables or other important part, when I press the lid down or backwards. But I don't know if that's possible.
  • JackE
    The physical connection between the KB & tablet seems to be the problem. The tablet connector cable part # is 50.L67N5.005 and relatively cheap (~$20USD). The KB connector part is the mainboard part # NX.P1JBC.012 and more expensive (~$70USD). The problem is deciding if one or both sides of the connection is the problem.

If it was mine, here's what I'd do. I'd disassemble the tablet and re-seat the cable a few times to clean it's contacts on tablet's circuit board to see if that fixes the problem. If not, I'd replace the cable since it's so cheap.If it still didn't work, I'd remove the KB mainboard part and try a solder re-flow to assure the connector pins are fully soldered. If still no success, then the only option left is to replace the KB mainboard part.

Jack E/NJ   

Jack E/NJ