Acer nitro 5 ANA515-53 FPS dropping on roblox and running sluggish

fireexplorer23
fireexplorer23 Member Posts: 52 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Lately my laptop has been having frame drops after 5 minutes of game play which has never happened to me before, On roblox I'll go from 60 fps to 40 in 5 minutes then down to 30 in 1 minutes. I don't know what is causing this my CPU or GPU isn't 100 nor is my disk or memory, I updated my graphics driver on my nvidia Geforce 1050TI and I also added roblox to the nvidia control panel and put it on high performance Geforce 1050 TI and its still doing the same thing. Since my PC was not working the way I wanted it to I reset the PC and started over to no prevail it still has massive frame drop. Also the Laptop has been very sluggish lately and is a bit delayed on games I've only had this PC for 3 months. 

SPECS 
ACER NITRO 5 ANA515-53-52FA
Intel ICORE i5 8th Gen
1TB Hard Disk 
16GB's of ram I upgraded from 8 
NVIDIA GeForce 1050TI 

Answers

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Try installing GPU-Z (free) which will allow you to monitor the CPU and GPU temperatures once the game starts. - https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

After a session where you notice the performance dropping off, go back to GPU-Z and review the temperature graph. If you're anywhere above 85C or so on the CPU, you're likely experiencing the results of thermal throttling. This is intentional to allow the PC to continue operating while maintaining in a safe temperature but as you have seen it hurts game-play.

The first and simplest thing to do is ensure no dust or hair is in the laptop. This builds up on the fins of the CPU and GPU cooler, and may require removing the back panel of the laptop to adequately clean. It's about 15 screws and the panel simply pops off. If you have compressed air, this usually works best to blow out the dust bunnies.

The next steps are slightly more involved. You can continue to remove the heatsink and fans in the laptop (6-8 screws and a wire) and then replace the factory thermal paste with a better paste of your choosing. You'll need to clean the old paste off with some Q-tips and rubbing alcohol, and then squeeze on a tiny bit of new paste. Then just reassemble in the reverse of disassembly.

The final step is to slightly undervolt the CPU. This limits the voltage to the processor which in turns makes it generate less heat. This is free and simple with another software like Intel XTU or Throttlestop. I think XTU is simpler, but Throttlestop gives you more (slightly unrelated) options. Either way, you simply set a negative voltage ofset of your choosing in the program and then snsure it starts with Windows at every boot.

Combined, you should see temperatures drop a significant amount and your laptop should be able to run at full clock speed without fluctuation. Since the CPU/GPU share heat-pipes/cooling, lowering the temperature on either one will result in less heat for the other.
  • fireexplorer23
    fireexplorer23 Member Posts: 52 Enthusiast WiFi Icon
    tobimaru said:
    Try installing GPU-Z (free) which will allow you to monitor the CPU and GPU temperatures once the game starts. - https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-gpu-z/

After a session where you notice the performance dropping off, go back to GPU-Z and review the temperature graph. If you're anywhere above 85C or so on the CPU, you're likely experiencing the results of thermal throttling. This is intentional to allow the PC to continue operating while maintaining in a safe temperature but as you have seen it hurts game-play.

The first and simplest thing to do is ensure no dust or hair is in the laptop. This builds up on the fins of the CPU and GPU cooler, and may require removing the back panel of the laptop to adequately clean. It's about 15 screws and the panel simply pops off. If you have compressed air, this usually works best to blow out the dust bunnies.

The next steps are slightly more involved. You can continue to remove the heatsink and fans in the laptop (6-8 screws and a wire) and then replace the factory thermal paste with a better paste of your choosing. You'll need to clean the old paste off with some Q-tips and rubbing alcohol, and then squeeze on a tiny bit of new paste. Then just reassemble in the reverse of disassembly.

The final step is to slightly undervolt the CPU. This limits the voltage to the processor which in turns makes it generate less heat. This is free and simple with another software like Intel XTU or Throttlestop. I think XTU is simpler, but Throttlestop gives you more (slightly unrelated) options. Either way, you simply set a negative voltage ofset of your choosing in the program and then snsure it starts with Windows at every boot.

Combined, you should see temperatures drop a significant amount and your laptop should be able to run at full clock speed without fluctuation. Since the CPU/GPU share heat-pipes/cooling, lowering the temperature on either one will result in less heat for the other.
    So if I were to undervolt my CPU what offset should I set it to and are there any negative side effects.