Can the Acer Aspire VX15 drive a 120hz monitor on HDMI?

kynoob
kynoob Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

hi to all, 
i have an acer aspire vx15 laptop and want that 120hz goodness, so i did some research but it seems that it cannot drive 120hz with hdmi? but my laptop seems to have hdmi1.4b which is supposed to support 1080p 120hz? so my question is:
can the acer aspire vx15 run 120hz on an external display? 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,776 Trailblazer
    Sorry. HDMI port is 60Hz max. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kynoob

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Sorry. HDMI port is 60Hz max. Jack E/NJ
    sorry, what do you mean by "jack e/nj"? also, isnt hdmi 1.4b able to support 120hz 1080p?
  • JackE
    Yes, but HDMI output is from the integrated Intel graphics max at 60Hz not the discrete nvidia chip.

Jack E/NJ (means I'm JackE from NewJersey USA)

Jack E/NJ

• kynoob

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Yes, but HDMI output is from the integrated Intel graphics max at 60Hz not the discrete nvidia chip.

Jack E/NJ (means I'm JackE from NewJersey USA)
    i see. and there is no way to change this, so whatever external displays i try to use will be stuck at 60hz?
  • MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    I do not believe 100% in that.
    Some users that I refer and report if they have achieved 120Hz via HDMI.

See an example here : https://community.acer.com/pt/discussion/comment/634471#Comment_634471

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• JackE
    edited March 2019
    Yes, only the laptop internal LCD operates at higher refresh rates. This is for early VX5-591G models. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• kynoob

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Yes, only the laptop internal LCD operates at higher refresh rates. This is for early VX5-591G models. Jack E/NJ
    in that case, would be replacing the internal lcd be the only way to get 120hz? also, i found this replacement screen for the laptop: B156HAN04.5, and it has a 120hz screen. it is supposedly compatible with the laptop (according to panelook) but would it cause issues like overheating? and would it work perfectly well apart from the better refresh rate?
  • ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    HDMI port 1.4b supports 120Hz. The laptop should be able to output 120Hz, if the HDMI port on the monitor supports it. Some monitors support high refresh rate on the DP only, so you need to make sure that the monitor you are planning to purchase supports 120Hz via HDMI.

Before purchasing a monitor I would advice you to check whether the HDMI port is connected directly to the dedicated Nvidia GPU. You can do this by simply connecting a monitor and then look if the intel hd graphics is present.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

• kynoob

Tinkerer

ven98 said:
    HDMI port 1.4b supports 120Hz. The laptop should be able to output 120Hz, if the HDMI port on the monitor supports it. Some monitors support high refresh rate on the DP only, so you need to make sure that the monitor you are planning to purchase supports 120Hz via HDMI.

Before purchasing a monitor I would advice you to check whether the HDMI port is connected directly to the dedicated Nvidia GPU. You can do this by simply connecting a monitor and then look if the intel hd graphics is present.
    i cannot check it now, but if it is connected to the intel hd graphics, is there is no way to change that? also, could you explain further about "connecting a monitor and then looking if the intel hd graphics is present"?
  • ven98
    There is no way to choose the GPU that uses the HDMI port.

By intel hd graphics present, I mean to check what GPU is running the Intel HD graphics or the Nvidia.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• kynoob

Tinkerer

ven98 said:
    There is no way to choose the GPU that uses the HDMI port.

By intel hd graphics present, I mean to check what GPU is running the Intel HD graphics or the Nvidia.
    so if i understand correctly, if i plug in my laptop to an external monitor, and it pops up as "intel hd graphics" instead of the gpu, the intel hd graphics is the one using the hdmi port, and the refresh rate will not be able to go above 60hz?
  • ven98
    I am not sure if intel hd graphics can support higher than 60Hz(I think it can), but there is no game that can run on it at 120fps anyway. 
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• JackE
    kynoob Let me try to simplify things.

Your discrete nvidia graphics adapter delivers --- and your internal LCD screen will display --- 120Hz refresh rate.

But your integrated Intel graphics adapter will only deliver --- and your external HDMI monitor will only display --- 60Hz refresh rate.

Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• AndrePisarcik
    AndrePisarcik Member Posts: 1 New User
    I got some personal experience on my laptop VX5-591G (i7, GTX1050): HDMI does support 120Hz. Im using MSI Optix 144Hz external monitor, just set in settings in display settings to 120Hz.
  • Samuel-Acer
    Samuel-Acer Moderator Posts: 696 Moderator
    Hi @AndrePisarcik,

Thank you for joining Acer community.

Here you can share your ideas, solutions and ask a question. 

The above comment was made on an older post. This may not get much attention from our community members. We request you to create a new topic by mentioning the issue in detail along with the unit model number. 

This would help users to address your concern at the earliest.

Note: This thread will now be closed.

Regards,
    Acer-Samuel

This discussion has been closed.