AN515-52-50VR Ram problem

Laskan
Laskan Member Posts: 7 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
hey guys

so I bought an Acer nitro 5 a while ago, I have 8gb ram and I read it would have 1 8gb ram in it. so I bought it and now I need to upgrade it. but when I opened the back I realised it has 2 4gb ram. so now when I upgrade I will lose 4gb. why does my laptop have only 2x 4gb ram? is this like a mistake acer made and I should contact them about?

thank you in advance
regards

Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Good night !

This model comes with 8GB of RAM.
    Not necessarily Acer uses an 8Gb memory bank.
    Some models depending on the configuration may come with 1 bank of 8 or 2 of 4.
    In this case, the use of 2 modules would be for dual-channel technology to be activated.
    It should have checked beforehand in the device and it had only one or both slots occupied.

So, the option would be:
    Sell your memory banks and acquire another 8Gb or use with 12Gb (4 + 8).
    But in that way you will lose some final performance.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Laskan
    Hey

Okay but seriously. If I am going to buy it from a big shop like pc world first hand. They wont wet me check if it occupies 2 slots. And its it the internet everywhere that it comes standard with 1 8gb ram. So its kinda unfair
  • MaClane
    Good Morning!

I have not really found it on the Acer Store site or others that are recognized that the device comes with only 8GB of RAM.
    The implication I found was that part features may vary according to model specification and region.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• Laskan
    good morning.

okay so if I Want to upgrade the ram. what specs ram do I need?
    is this one okay? https://www.newegg.com/global/uk-en/Product/Product.aspx?Item=0RN-002U-000U5&ignorebbr=1
  • MaClane
    edited March 2019
    Good Morning!

Is this your exact model?
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/GB/content/model/NH.Q3MEK.009

If it is, it has support for up to 32Gb of RAM (in 2 slots, being 2x16Gb) SO-DIMM - DDR4-2400 / 2666Mhz

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• Laskan
    Yes it is, so is the one that I have on the link compatible with my laptop?
  • MaClane
    Laskan disse:
    Yes it is, so is the one that I have on the link compatible with my laptop?
    Yes, this is compatible!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• tobimaru
    tobimaru Member Posts: 315 Skilled Practitioner WiFi Icon
    CPU-Z is a free program you can install that can tell you which slots are occupied without opening the laptop. It's a good utility to have!

In general, to ensure dual-channel operation you want to populate two DIMM slots on the same bank with RAM modules that are the same size and speed. As @MaClane mentioned if you run in a 12 + 8 configuration you may only get single channel performance.
  • Laskan
    is my ram slot 200pin or 260 SODIMM?
  • MaClane
    tobimaru disse:
    CPU-Z is a free program you can install that can tell you which slots are occupied without opening the laptop. It's a good utility to have!

In general, to ensure dual-channel operation you want to populate two DIMM slots on the same bank with RAM modules that are the same size and speed. As @MaClane mentioned if you run in a 12 + 8 configuration you may only get single channel performance.
    Dual-channel employee, since the basic requirement is to use slots in pairs.
    But the performance will be less, since the ability of one of the whites will reach the limit before the other.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• MaClane
    Laskan disse:
    is my ram slot 200pin or 260 SODIMM?
    260 pins! 

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• Laskan
    Thanks guys, just a quick question again, will I need 16gb ram or 32gb ram?

I do CAD stuff and sometimes multitask
    I Also would like to run DCS world multiplayer which people say you need like 22gb to run smoothly so what would be the solution?
  • MaClane
    If you think about CAD requirements, some projects actually require a lot of RAM.

DCS has 16GB of RAM recommenda- tion.
    However, a part of the RAM is occupied by the system.

If you really want more performance, upgrade to 32Gb (16Gb x 2).

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• Laskan
    hey another question, can I run windows OS on M.2 SSD? and what type of M.2 SSD speed can I buy for that?
  • MaClane
    You can clone the entire Acer Windows OEM system along with the recovery partitions for the SSD.

The read and write speeds of SSDs are much higher than those of a standard HDD.
    But the speed is limited for each machine according to the support and type of connection provided.

This model has a M.2 slot:

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™