Chromebook Spin 15 CP315 screen brightness

Jerryo100
Jerryo100 Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
I'm loving my new Chromebook but even with brightness turned all the up it's still too dark for watching movies. Dark scenes are simply unwatchable. The main reason for getting this Chromebook is so my wife and I can watch movies during her chemo treatments. Is there a way to make the screen brighter? Linux tools or installing linux maybe. I'm willing to try anything even if it shortens battery life, before the return window with Amazon runs out.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,848 Trailblazer
    The screen plane viewing angle can be very sensitive particularly if it's not view almost  perpendicular to the eyes. Once it gets to be about 20* off the perpendicular, screen brightness can get very dim. Jack E/NJ 

Jack E/NJ

• Internetpilot
    Internetpilot Member Posts: 3 New User
    Under Settings, Display make sure that Night Light mode isn't on (or automatically scheduled to turn on).  This is the only reason I can think of that your Chromebook display would be performing like this unless it's defective because I have that same model and don't have that problem at all when watching YouTube TV, Netflix, etc.  What's your movie source? If it's like Google Play Movies, Netflix, etc., then there may be a setting in their player that could increase the brightness. 
  • Jerryo100

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    The screen plane viewing angle can be very sensitive particularly if it's not view almost  perpendicular to the eyes. Once it gets to be about 20* off the perpendicular, screen brightness can get very dim. Jack E/NJ 
    Thanks, but that is not the problem. 
    Under Settings, Display make sure that Night Light mode isn't on (or automatically scheduled to turn on).  This is the only reason I can think of that your Chromebook display would be performing like this unless it's defective because I have that same model and don't have that problem at all when watching YouTube TV, Netflix, etc.  What's your movie source? If it's like Google Play Movies, Netflix, etc., then there may be a setting in their player that could increase the brightness. 
    Night Light mode is off and not scheduled. I use VLC, Prime Video, Dish Anywhere, Kodi, and tried a bunch of video players. Some of the players have brightness controls but they have no effect whatsoever. I don't think there is anything wrong with the display. Acer probably has the brightness levels capped to extend battery life. Most movies are watchable but on the dark side. Dark scenes are just horrible. For everything else the screen is more than bright enough. 
  • JackE
    edited March 2019
    >>>Dark scenes are just horrible. For everything else the screen is more than bright enough.  >>>

This sounds more like a graphics controller issue, not a screen brightness issue. Return the machine to the vendor ASAP for exchange or refund before its RMA period ends. ACER warranty repair will take longer. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• Jerryo100

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    >>>Dark scenes are just horrible. For everything else the screen is more than bright enough.  >>>

This sounds more like a graphics controller issue, not a screen brightness issue. Return the machine to the vendor ASAP for exchange or refund before its RMA period ends. ACER warranty repair will take longer. Jack E/NJ
    Thanks. I found an app called Sidewinder Radiance video player. It has color, contrast, saturation, etc controls that work. I can make dark scenes look great now. I don't like the UI and it has ads, but it works. Seems like a WIP. Hopefully they come out with an ad free paid version with UI improvements. That solves the main reason for getting this Chromebook. An app that can do the same thing for streaming services would be nice, but can't really stream at the hospital anyways without endless buffering. 

Really love this Chromebook now. I didn't think it would happen but I find myself using this more than my PC now. Except for ripping movies I buy to my NAS and playing a few PC games this Chromebook does everything I need it to.
    Thanks again guys for trying to help.
  • JackE
    Sorry, I was assuming that streaming adjustment was needed. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ