How to open the Easy Swap Expansion bay on Predator G3-170

McGrover
McGrover Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited February 15 in 2019 Archives
I have a 3.5'' Seagate hard drive that I'd like to install using the easy swap expansion bay, but I cannot find out how to open the darn thing.

Answers

• IVAN_PC
    IVAN_PC ACE Posts: 7,562 Pathfinder
    Hi.

Generally, they have two screws in the back part of each lateral opening, once removed you must press the cover backwards that is to say to the right.

Regards.

☑️ 𝑺𝒊 𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒂 𝒆𝒔 "𝒍𝒂 𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒑𝒖𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒂", 𝒉𝒂𝒛 𝒄𝒍𝒊𝒄 𝒆𝒏 "𝑨𝒄𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒂𝒓 𝒍𝒂 𝒔𝒐𝒍𝒖𝒄𝒊ó𝒏" 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒂 𝒂𝒚𝒖𝒅𝒂𝒓 𝒂 𝒐𝒕𝒓𝒐𝒔 𝒂 𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒓𝒍𝒂.
    ☑️ 𝑬𝒍 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒐 𝑨𝑪𝑬𝑹 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚 𝒕𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒆 𝒖𝒏 𝒂𝒎𝒃𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒆 𝒂𝒈𝒓𝒂𝒅𝒂𝒃𝒍𝒆 𝒅𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆 𝒕𝒐𝒅𝒐 𝒆𝒍 𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒅𝒐 𝒆𝒔 𝒃𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒗𝒆𝒏𝒊𝒅𝒐.
  • McGrover

Tinkerer

IVAN_PC said:
    Hi.

Generally, they have two screws in the back part of each lateral opening, once removed you must press the cover backwards that is to say to the right.

Regards.

So I have to take the side panel off and unscrew screws before it will come down? Also is it hot swappable?
  • IVAN_PC
    IVAN_PC ACE Posts: 7,562 Pathfinder

In hot or cold, it does not matter that it is always more logical in the cold, you must disconnect the power cable and press the power button 15 seconds, to remove the energy stored in the motherboard.

Remove the two screws from the back, this will not cause the cover to fall, because it is caught in the chassis. For that reason you must press back, if you notice you should have a small flap in the same place as the screws to remove it.

Regards.

☑️ 𝑺𝒊 𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒂 𝒆𝒔 "𝒍𝒂 𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒑𝒖𝒆𝒔𝒕𝒂", 𝒉𝒂𝒛 𝒄𝒍𝒊𝒄 𝒆𝒏 "𝑨𝒄𝒆𝒑𝒕𝒂𝒓 𝒍𝒂 𝒔𝒐𝒍𝒖𝒄𝒊ó𝒏" 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒂 𝒂𝒚𝒖𝒅𝒂𝒓 𝒂 𝒐𝒕𝒓𝒐𝒔 𝒂 𝒆𝒏𝒄𝒐𝒏𝒕𝒓𝒂𝒓𝒍𝒂.
    ☑️ 𝑬𝒍 𝒇𝒐𝒓𝒐 𝑨𝑪𝑬𝑹 𝒄𝒐𝒎𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒊𝒕𝒚 𝒕𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒆 𝒖𝒏 𝒂𝒎𝒃𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒆 𝒂𝒈𝒓𝒂𝒅𝒂𝒃𝒍𝒆 𝒅𝒐𝒏𝒅𝒆 𝒕𝒐𝒅𝒐 𝒆𝒍 𝒎𝒖𝒏𝒅𝒐 𝒆𝒔 𝒃𝒊𝒆𝒏𝒗𝒆𝒏𝒊𝒅𝒐.
  • McGrover

Tinkerer

So I am still confused about which screws I must take out, would it just be easier to put it in the tray with the other hdd?
  • McGrover

Tinkerer

Here are some pictures if that helps
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,905 Trailblazer
    You don't need to open it up like that, though if you want you can just install it in that second bay. You'll have to provide that SATA cable but there should be a spare power connector there. There's a latch you release on the hot swap bay and the bezel swings out on it's hinge at the right. Once it's open the hot swap caddy just slides out. You can mount a drive in the caddy and plug it back in.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • McGrover

Tinkerer

How do you release the latch, on the right side theres some plastic thing that is holding it shut.
  • McGrover

Tinkerer

Hold on, I managed to get the hard drive into the easy swap expansion bay but now the drive won't show up. It made a noise like it booted but it doesnt show up on this pc.
  • McGrover

Tinkerer

Are the cables already plugged into the motherboard or do I have to plug them in myself?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,905 Trailblazer
    You shouldn't need to do anything with the cables, but if it's new drive it doesn't yet have a partition created and formatted. Fire up Disk Manager (in W10 just right click on the Windows menu button at bottom left and choose it from the list) and find the drive. It'll be the one with no partitions. :) Right click on it and choose something like 'new volume' and let it do it's thing. When it gives you the quick format option accept it. Then it will show up in File Manager as a new drive letter.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.