What upgrades do I need for my Predator G3-710?

serieslover
serieslover Member Posts: 10 New User
edited February 15 in 2019 Archives
Hi guys, I've had my Predator for nearly 2 years and love it and now I want to add some more RAM and another SSD. The only problem I'm not tech savvy so really struggling to know what to get.
I think the RAM is DDR4 SDRAM? And I have read the that the Samsung eco 860 is great too. But I see SSD come in 2.5', 3.5' and M2? 
I have added a pic to show where I want to add the SSD, But I have also seen how easy it is to add RAM and SSD or HDD inside the machine as well,
Can anyone please tell me or even share links to what I need to look for?
And is there anything else you would recommend adding or upgrading?

Best Answers

• MaClane
    MaClane ACE Posts: 35,598 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Yes, memory banks.
    This is ideal, correctly identifying the one you have installed and acquiring another identical one.
    Make sure you have an SSD in the M.2 slot.
    If you have, you can maintain or opt for a higher capacity.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!
    Atenciosamente:  J. MaClane™

If my answer was helpful, leave a Like, flag as Fixed and click Promote!
    Otherwise, I am willing to try to heal your doubts and solve your problems!
    Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,905 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The M.2 slot in your G3-710 is SATA3, so you need a SATA drive, not NVMe. Your existing drive is a 128GB so I'd look for as big as you can afford, likely 512GB or so. It's great that your existing memory is one 16GB stick, someone was think ahead about upgrades when they designed it. ;)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • laurent_14
    laurent_14 ACE Posts: 10,274 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    FYI, here is the datasheet.

Answers

• MaClane
    Good night serieslover !

First, what is the exact model of your laptop?
    Example: G3-710 AU01
    That way you'll be safe to guide you.

Se minha resposta foi útil, deixe um Curtir, marque como Solucionado e clique em Promover!
    Caso contrario, fico a disposição para tentarmos sanar suas duvidas e resolver seus problemas!

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

For users of the English, Spanish, French and German Community, I will be using Google Translate!

• serieslover
    I have grabbed some screenshots of information but cannot seem to find the model number. Sorry I am not real good at this but I try. I will upload the screenshots
  • MaClane

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• serieslover
    It wont open, I tried right click open in new tab or simply clicking on it but it wont do anything
  • serieslover
    edited March 2019
    All good the only extra information is a serial Number of XXXXXX 

[Edited the content by Acer-Harvey]
  • MaClane
    I found some models, but not yours specifically.
    Watch this video and let me know the full SN so that I can correctly identify it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=22&v=D2_ZwnMZ-aI

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• serieslover
    edited March 2019

Thank you for having patience with me I have it now. 

[Member posted image with S/N. Edited by Acer-David]

• MaClane
    edited March 2019
    Good night !

I finally found your model.
    So let's start:

RAM
    It supports up to 64GB of RAM DDR4-2133 / 2400Mhz, 1.2v, PC4-17000 SDRAM in dual-channel 4 slots (16Gb x 4).

In that case, it will depend on your needs.
    I believe that installing more 16Gb, totaling 32GB of RAm in dual-channel will meet almost all the requirements.

M.2
    It has 1 slot M.2 2280 Sata 3, with supports up to 512Gb.

As for the SSD, you can opt for an M.2 model as it will have higher speed and performance than using the adapter you posted.

As for other changes, I do not believe that none will generate huge gains that justify.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• billsey
    It sounds like he has an existing SSD. If that were part of his SKU (likely, I think) then his M.2 slot is already filled. If so, an adapter like the one shown would work, but may not be needed since most of these models have mounts for a 2.5" drive as well as for the 3.5".

The memory upgrade to 32 or 64GB is a great update, but it's best to look first to see how his current memory is populated. If he has four 4GB sticks now I'd suggest two 16GB sticks as the replacement instead of four 8GB sticks. It would allow a future upgrade to 64GB without junking his old memory. If he has two 8GB or one 16GB stick now then the upgrade is likely best with just duplicating what's in there.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • serieslover
    Yes I do have a an existing SSD it says it is 118gb I am presuming that is 156 once you take into account space used for programming?
    I have 1 16gb RAM So adding 1 more 16GB should be enough I presume.
    As for more another SSD or M@ I am really confused now. and unsure whether to place one in the tray at the front or have it fitted internally and what to get
  • MaClane
    Verify that the internal SSD is using the M.2 slot.
    If so, I see no need to install another in the outer bay.
    It would only be advisable to work by moving large amounts of files.
    Other than that, it is not a rewarding investment.
    So, it would be better to exchange yours for a 480Gb.
    maintain speed and gain exchange storage.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• serieslover
    Can you recommend what brand and store is best to get?
  • MaClane
    I live in Brazil!

So I could not tell you exactly the best stores, but the brands of confidence and great performance are:

Corsair Vengeance
    G.Skill Trident Z
    Kingston HyperX

My advice is that if you buy, the best option is:
    Buy another comb identical to what you have installed or buy 2 new identical, with the same settings (frequency, capacity, CAS, etc.)

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• MaClane

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• serieslover
    When you say comb do you mean the RAM? And I should have a look and see what the RAM is I already have and get the same one again?
    Which one would you suggest for an SSD or M.2?
  • MaClane
    Answer ✓
    Yes, memory banks.
    This is ideal, correctly identifying the one you have installed and acquiring another identical one.
    Make sure you have an SSD in the M.2 slot.
    If you have, you can maintain or opt for a higher capacity.

Sincerely, J. MaClane ™

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    The M.2 slot in your G3-710 is SATA3, so you need a SATA drive, not NVMe. Your existing drive is a 128GB so I'd look for as big as you can afford, likely 512GB or so. It's great that your existing memory is one 16GB stick, someone was think ahead about upgrades when they designed it. ;)
  • serieslover
    Thank you guys so much.  I will take a picture of the inside and share it with you as I have no idea what the M.2 slots look like LOL

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    @billsey

There appears to be two different versions of the mainboard.  The skylake version and the kaby lake version.  He has the skylake version.  From what I can see, both versions of the board support M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/10830790

https://www.userbenchmark.com/System/Acer-Predator-G3-710/21107
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited March 2019
    @serieslover

The video below shows the location of the M.2 slot for M.2 SSD and is somewhat hidden under the graphics card.  There's lots of videos on youtube that may be able to help you install upgrades.  Samsung M.2 860 would be a good choice either M.2 or 2.5 inch form factor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmqItvLM2t0

If you don't already have an M.2 screw to fasten down the M.2 SSD, you can purchase one from several places online.

https://www.moddiy.com/products/M2.0-x-3mm-Black-Screws-(CM2X3%2d3.3).html

https://www.ebay.com/itm/M-2-not-2-5-SSD-SOLID-STATE-HDD-MOUNTING-SCREWS-Crucial-MX200-12-Pack-Screw-/301888660871

Here's more details on mainboard.

https://community.acer.com/en/discussion/537166/g3-710-case-fan-install

I'm not an Acer employee.