New hard drive not recognized( Acer E15)

abitcrazy
abitcrazy Member Posts: 2 New User
edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I have an Acer E15 laptop. All of a sudden, it started No Bootable Device. So I bought a new hard drive, but it too is not seen by the computer. Please don't get too technical. I don't have a replacement Windows and I am good with a Ubuntu 18 version. However, when I installed the Ubuntu, it installed as 'try' because there is no hard drive to install the OS on. I don't know why the new drive was not recognized. Is this some proprietary thing that I need to go into the bios for? I need help. This is a nice enough machine, and I don't want to trash it. 
I've already done the F2 thing; it does not see the hard drive. In the boot F10, I have changed to boot sequence to DVD then HDD but I need to get the heart of the problem. There are error messages that I sometimes get (but can't seem to get to that screen right now) that had a whole bunch of -switches messages, I think. Any help out here? Do I need to buy a specific hard drive for Aspire, or make some BIOS adjustments? Thanks.

Answers

• IronFly
    IronFly ACE Posts: 18,413 Trailblazer
    if the new HDD is not recognised, can be an incompatible HDD or the mainboard HDD port broken; it's better if you take it to a computer shop.
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • abitcrazy
    abitcrazy Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks. I believe you are right; going to send it back to Acer for repair. It is the original hard drive in the laptop.  You would think a hard drive that was still under the year warranty would not go bad...
    oh well! I tried everything.