New tablet b3-a50fhd riddled with ads

Dchadd
Dchadd Member Posts: 4 New User
edited March 18 in 2019 Archives
I just replaced my Lenovo tablet with the Iconio One 10 b3-a50fhd. Now a week into ownership, I'm about to send it back. I keep getting random ads, not necessarily when I'm using Chrome. Each day it seems to get worse. I reinstalled the same apps I had on my old tablet and I never had this problem before, so I suspect it's an Acer issue. I'm not new to Android. Are ads integral part of this tablet? Any help would be appreciated.

Best Answer

• Dchadd
    Answer ✓
    Thanks. I waited a day before I responded, because I think I got it resolved. I was holding my breath in case it came back. It appears that the culprit was a program called Photo Editor that was just an ad delivery mechanism. It randomly opened ads on top of other programs. I didn't install it - it must have been preinstalled on the tablet. It's not from Google Play. Now that I have uninstalled it, the ads stopped. Hopefully that's all it was. I looked at my Chrome settings, and there's no proxy server, so that part seems to be good. I'm hoping for the best.

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    Does it give you any indication which app is launching them? I haven't seen that with my FHD, but it's a slightly earlier model.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Dchadd
    Thanks for answering. No indication of what program. Sometimes when I open Chrome, the ad pops over. Sometimes  I get it when I open Gmail. It has popped up twice while I was typing this response. The ads are full-screen. Very frustrating.
  • billsey
    Time to look closely at your Chrome settings. Have you been hacked by a bad site that spoofs your proxy server settings? If so it will have added a proxy to your network settings and all your internet traffic will be routed through them. That's typically used for popup ads, but also can be used for more malicious activities like keystroke logging. This type of bad behavior doesn't require code running on your machine, so Chromebooks are vulnerable.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Dchadd
    Answer ✓
    Thanks. I waited a day before I responded, because I think I got it resolved. I was holding my breath in case it came back. It appears that the culprit was a program called Photo Editor that was just an ad delivery mechanism. It randomly opened ads on top of other programs. I didn't install it - it must have been preinstalled on the tablet. It's not from Google Play. Now that I have uninstalled it, the ads stopped. Hopefully that's all it was. I looked at my Chrome settings, and there's no proxy server, so that part seems to be good. I'm hoping for the best.
  • billsey
    Great that it seems to be sorted, let us know if it kicks back in. I doubt that was part of the original build, we'd have heard about well before now if so. I wonder if your was maybe a demo unit at the dealer?
  • Dchadd
    I got it from Amazon, so anything's possible. It appeared to be new in the box.
  • billsey
    Yeah, there's 'got it from Amazon' and 'got it through Amazon'. :) There are a lot of vendors there and by far the majority are good, but some can be a bit ... less so.