Acer Chromebook R11 spelling issue

BobaPhil
BobaPhil Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hi everyone, I did a search and it brought me here. 

I have a new Chromebook, which I'm still debating taking back at the moment having a small issue with spelling. It works in some programs, but not others. I'm typing this in Chrome and it's highlighting my mistakes, but I also use Opera to browse at times and the spelling there is never corrected. :angry: Same with an email program I use. 

I have been through the settings (a million times it seems), but spell check only seems to work on Chrome/Google products and nothing third party, which is a real shame for someone like myself who's dyslexic. 

Any help would be really appreciated. Thank you. 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,848 Trailblazer
    What Opera version? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BobaPhil
    JackE said:
    What Opera version? Jack E/NJ
    It's the latest version, I've only just downloaded it. 

But the spell check doesn't work on a lot things, email, comments on the YouTube app, Twitter, Facebook etc. 

I would like to install a new keyboard, but it doesn't seem possible, isn't it? 
  • JackE
    edited February 2019
    Go to the opera settings menu. Then preference. Click the advanced tab. Then in the left pane choose browsing. Make sure spellcheck box is checkmarked as shown in the image below. Then close and restart opera. As for the KB, the easiest and cheapest method is to simply use a USB wired or wireless keyboard from Amazon, such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-K360-Wireless-Keyboard-layout/dp/B0055JDM06  or Currys in Weston.    Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• BobaPhil
    JackE said:
    Go to the opera settings menu. Then preference. Click the advanced tab. Then in the left pane choose browsing. Make sure spellcheck box is checkmarked as shown in the image below. Then close and restart opera. As for the KB, the easiest and cheapest method is to simply use a USB wired or wireless keyboard from Amazon, such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-K360-Wireless-Keyboard-layout/dp/B0055JDM06  or Currys in Weston.    Jack E/NJ

This isn't an option on any of the Operas I downloaded from the App Store. 

And I should have stated, but when I meant a new keyboard, I meant installing a new keyboard, like Swype (which I've used for years), but it won't install on the Chrome OS. 
  • JackE
    Sorry, Swype keyboard is not currently compatible with Chromebooks. There a similar Swype-like keyboards for Chromebooks but not Swype. As far as the spellchecker, try to select what you want to spellcheck. Then right click. Is there an option to spellcheck listed in the box that should popup? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ