can i update my bios version to register asus GTX970mini?

MacQuarrie93
MacQuarrie93 Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
when i insert my gtx970 card the screen goes black but5 wont display anything from either hdmi port on the motherboard or graphics card, can i update my bios from megatrends P11-A3 to allow me to adjust setting in my bios to configure the graphics card to show picture,
-model;acer aspire X3-100
amd quad core A10-5700 APU(3.4ghz) with Radeon HD 7660D graphics
-16gb ddr3 ram
-asus gtx970-dcmoc-4gd5   (4GB)

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    edited February 2019 Answer ✓
    BIOSes don't have any settings for the graphics card. Does the GPU show any signs of turning on(e.g fans starting to spin)?

The GPU requires single 8pin power. Have you connect an 8pin power connector from the PSU to the GPU?
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• ven98
    edited February 2019 Answer ✓
    BIOSes don't have any settings for the graphics card. Does the GPU show any signs of turning on(e.g fans starting to spin)?

The GPU requires single 8pin power. Have you connect an 8pin power connector from the PSU to the GPU?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,905 Trailblazer
    Your 220W power supply is going to be the limiting factor, it's the smaller form factor and is tough to find in higher wattages.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • MacQuarrie93

Tinkerer

ive upgraded with a 600w evga power supply, and im running windows 8
  • MacQuarrie93

Tinkerer

ven98 said:

ive upgraded the power supply with 600w evga, but im trying to determine if i can up date my motherboard bios to give me the option to allow the video card to display the card fan turns on and the led light comes on thats on the side of it, the pc starts up but doesnt beep and display on the monitor its just turns on and stays running, could it be i need to use vga cable first and then change to hdmi?, i may just need to buy/find a newer cpu and motherboard for the bios option to change to the graphics card instead of the intergrated graphics
  • ven98
    edited February 2019
    BIOSes don't have these options to control the fan speed of the GPU or to show the speed. The GPU is like a separate piece of the whole PC and it has its own BIOS and is separated from the motherboard's BIOS.

What version of windows are you running with(edit: i saw it is windows 8)? Is the BIOS set to UEFI or Legacy?
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    @MacQuarrie93

Please check your current BIOS date.  To check your current BIOS date.....

1. Right click on the Windows start button
    2. Left click on Run
    3.  Type msinfo32
    4. click ok

Compare your BIOS date to the BIOS date in link below.  

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14776200

It's not clear where you found this P11.B4AA   ???  Where did you find it??

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/support-product/4636?b=1

Please check the condition of Secure Boot in the BIOS settings.  Is it enabled or disabled?
    Does your computer have something called "Launch CSM" in the BIOS settings?  Is it set to "always" or "never"?
    Does your computer have something called "Quiet Boot" in the BIOS settings?

Does your computer "beep" when you turn it on?

Since the person below is running GTX1080,  that means your mainboard is capable of running GTX970.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/14776200
    I'm not an Acer employee.
  • MacQuarrie93

Tinkerer

American Megatrends inc. P11-A3,2012-11-01       thats my bios date, but theres gotta be something im doing if they can get the gtx 10 series to work in the

Acer Aspire X3-100

• JordanB
    JordanB ACE Posts: 3,729 Pathfinder
    edited February 2019
    The only thing I can suggest is to unplug your monitor from the electrical outlet and unplug your HDMI cable. Unlug your computer from electrical outlet.  Wait a couple minutes and then plug everything back in.
     I have an ASUS GTX 960 mini.  It seems like sometimes when tinkering around after installing a different OS (without a driver), it wouldn't show up on my DP cable monitor or HDMI cable monitor and I had to temporarily use a different monitor with DVI-I until I installed the driver.  I have triple monitor setup with my asus gtx960 mini.  DP, HDMI, DVI-I.

I'm out of suggestions......good luck.
    I'm not an Acer employee.