Keys on keyboard stopped working on Nitro 5 AN515-53

nerdoalto
nerdoalto Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

The keyboard was working fine when i just got it until I considered ungrading my RAM. I shut down the laptop opened the ram door and took out the preinstalled 8Gb RAM stick.
I opted to not install an additional stick so I put back the orginal one, albeit in a different slot than were it originally was.
Powered on the laptop and suddenly the 'S' key, 'Ctrl' key (one on the left), '2' key and '~' key all stopped working.
I've tried reinstalling the keyboard driver, I tried restoring the BIOS to default setting (btw the keys doesnt even working in the BIOS) nothing worked and I'm really frustrated.
The laptop is new, I haven't even started to game on this so I doubt a mechanical issue with the individual keys. Please help!! 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    Well, does the KB work in with the module in the original slot? Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• nerdoalto

Tinkerer

@JackE I tried that it didn't work though...
  • JackE
    The KB ribbon cable connector to the mainboard probably needs to be re-seated a few times to clean its contacts. Not unusual but if it's a new machine I would not try to do it yourself because the connector is directory below the KB. If you just got it, then immediately return it to the seller for a replacement or refund because ACER warranty repair will take longer. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• nerdoalto

Tinkerer

Problem Solved found an acer dealer in my country, my warranty was still good, acer sent and new keyboard, back in business
  • JackE
    Way to go! Congrats. Jack E/NJ

Jack E/NJ

• mypassport
    mypassport Member Posts: 4 New User
    nerdoalto said:
    Problem Solved found an acer dealer in my country, my warranty was still good, acer sent and new keyboard, back in business
    I know this older post but I've a similar issue, what did acer end up doing for you?  I was confused by your comment,  so acer sent you a replacement laptop and you had to send back the old one?  or did Acer send you a new replacement keyboard and you had to install it?  
  • nerdoalto

Tinkerer

@mypassport hey sorry about that let me clarify, Acer sent a new keyboard to the Acer Dealer and the technicians at the dealer installed it. They didn't send a new laptop.
  • mypassport
    mypassport Member Posts: 4 New User
    nerdoalto said:
    @mypassport hey sorry about that let me clarify, Acer sent a new keyboard to the Acer Dealer and the technicians at the dealer installed it. They didn't send a new laptop.
    How is your laptop doing so far?