Acer E5-571 Slow Down After Windows 10 Upgrade

Nwott
Nwott Member Posts: 7

Tinkerer

edited August 2023 in 2019 Archives
I've been searching for an answer for this on and off for a while now. Ever since I upgraded my Acer E5-571 to Windows 10, there has been a massive performance drop. I notice this especially when gaming. When I used Windows 8 for a long time, I would get very good performance. Then when I upgraded to Windows 10, everything started lagging so much more and for some games, I can't even open them. I have updated my graphics drivers to the latest version, but still not much performance boost.

Specs:
Intel I5 5200U @ 2.20Ghz
Intel HD Graphics 5500
8gb Ram
256gb SSD

Answers

• Nwott

Tinkerer

Also the creator's update and updates after that don't really affect my pc, it's just when I upgraded to Windows 10 from Windows 8.
  • rebit
    rebit Member Posts: 37 Devotee WiFi Icon
    Always clean install W10
  • Nwott

Tinkerer

A while ago, I did clean install Windows 10. Still no performance boost.
  • rebit
    I have the same laptop (with the i7-5500U @2.4GHz). Pretty much the same, try this benchmark and post numbers. I will post mine.

https://downloads.passmark.com/ftp/petst.exe
  • rebit
    I have a similar machine (i7-5500U @ 2.4GHz) pretty much similar. Run this benchmark and post numbers

https://downloads.passmark.com/ftp/petst.exe

Bang average. Not a bad work-a-day portable, but no games machine.
  • Nwott

Tinkerer

edited February 2019
    Also a while ago, I broke my hard drive, so now I have an ssd.

• rebit
    Nwott said:
    Also a while ago, I broke my hard drive, so now I have an ssd.

All the numbers look ballpark apart from the graphics driver.

Uninstall the driver until you get 'Microsoft Basic Display Adapter'

Run the wushowhidediag.cab from Microsoft. Hide the HD5500 driver from Acer.

In the Control Panel|System|Advanced System Settings|Hardware|Device Installation Settings select No.

Download the latest driver (build 5058) from Intel. Install. You'll have to repeat the settings after upgrades.

Also, if you have not already done so try running the Samsung Magician software to check your SSD firmware. There were big issues with the 740 EVO but AFAIK the 750 EVO wasn't badly impacted.
  • Nwott

Tinkerer

I ran the Samsung Magician software and did the driver thing, but nothing changed.