core temperature problem

bloody72
bloody72 Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2023 in 2019 Archives
Hello, it looks like my Predator GX-792 has a problem with the temperature of the processor cores. 
Temperatures in games (for example Assassin's Creed Syndicate) on cores 1-3 is about 95-99 degrees (while on 0-2 is about 70-80 degrees), fans all time work on maximum speed.
Once the computer shut down abnormally due to overheating.
After overheating, radiators and coolers were cleaned. Replaced thermal grease-thermal grizzly hydronaut. However, the situation has not changed. Updated BIOS to 1.08.
Actually, iam worring about not so much the high temperature as the difference on the cores from 10 to 20 degrees, that IMHO does not correspond to the correct operation of the processor and is dangerous for the processor. Please, help!

Best Answer

• ven98
    ven98 ACE Posts: 4,073 Pathfinder
    Answer ✓
    I would undervolt, as mentioned by @xapim to reduce the temperatures even further. 

The temperature difference can be caused by 3 factors.
    1. The CPU die is not 100% levelled(by this I mean that one side can be thicker than the other and vice versa). This can create more gap between some parts of the CPU and the cooler, which is then translated as higher temperatures on some of the cores, but not as high as what you are getting. It is not a defect, every CPU is like that. There will always be some difference in height between each corner of the CPU.
    2. The copper plate that makes a contact with the CPU is not straight, creating the same situation with the higher temperature cores. This is more likely
    3. You have used too little thermal paste and it could be not covering the entire CPU, which is much more likely than the other 2 situations mentioned above.

Difference in core temperature won't damage the CPU. It is not a problem even if one core is working at 90C, while the others are at 60C for example, but as many people say a CPU is as good as its worst core. I would suggest you to try repasting again, but use a little more paste.
    Always post the following characterisitcs of the device:
    -Model number
    -Part number(not required, but helpful)
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

Hit 'Like' if you find the answer helpful!   
    Click on 'Yes' if the comment answers your question!

Answers

• Jack22
    Jack22 ACE Posts: 3,735 Pathfinder
    @bloody72
    Predator and Nitro products are engineered to withstand higher operating temperatures than traditional notebooks. These systems include features that help with cooling and heat dispersion. The CPU and GPU are designed to handle temperature spikes in excess of 98 degrees Celsius without causing damage to the components. It is common for PC temperatures to spike temporarily during heavy gaming or graphic usage. If the system encounters excessive temperatures that could damage the hardware, it will automatically shut down to protect the components from becoming damaged.

• xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    Optimise windows/undervolt andlastly if needed repaste

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• ven98
    Answer ✓
    I would undervolt, as mentioned by @xapim to reduce the temperatures even further. 

The temperature difference can be caused by 3 factors.
    1. The CPU die is not 100% levelled(by this I mean that one side can be thicker than the other and vice versa). This can create more gap between some parts of the CPU and the cooler, which is then translated as higher temperatures on some of the cores, but not as high as what you are getting. It is not a defect, every CPU is like that. There will always be some difference in height between each corner of the CPU.
    2. The copper plate that makes a contact with the CPU is not straight, creating the same situation with the higher temperature cores. This is more likely
    3. You have used too little thermal paste and it could be not covering the entire CPU, which is much more likely than the other 2 situations mentioned above.

Difference in core temperature won't damage the CPU. It is not a problem even if one core is working at 90C, while the others are at 60C for example, but as many people say a CPU is as good as its worst core. I would suggest you to try repasting again, but use a little more paste.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system

Helios 300 and Nitro 5 users DO NOT update the BIOS to version 1.22 if you don't want the keyboard's backlight to turn off after 30 seconds even when the device is plugged in.

• bloody72
    bloody72 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited February 2019
    ven98 said:

…. I would suggest you to try repasting again, but use a little more paste.
    I suppose u r right, I have thought about it but in other way, like I should to repast processor but use a little bit less paste))))
    But if we will use logic we see that u r right because (2.) the copper plate is not straight and that's why more paste will close the gaps. 
    Anyway, I will try to repaste. 
    Heh, i surprised to see the difference of the temp between core in 15-20 degreases((((

well now, ven98 & others thanks for ur attention!

sorry for mistakes, English isn`t my native language(( 

• ven98
    More paste doesn't cause higher temperatures, because when you press the heatsink all the extra paste will be squeezed out from the sides. Of course, using too much isn't a good practise, because it is just a waste of paste. Too little thermal paste on the other hand may not cover the whole die.
    -Model number
    -CPU
    -GPU
    -Operating system