Bypass 8GB RAM on motherboard H61H2 - AD (Aspire X3990)?

Krister_Ponnio
Krister_Ponnio Member Posts: 3 New User
edited March 1 in 2019 Archives
I've read everywhere that the motherboard H61H2 - AD can't use more than 8GB RAM but does anyone here in the Acer forums know if there's a way to to increase the maximum volume of RAM it can handle without frying the motherboard/memory controller? Or is that all it can transfer because of the outdated board and otherwise it would overload/damage the circuits?

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,436 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    The mix of the chipset and the two memory slots limits that motherboard to 8GB. To go higher really takes a motherboard upgrade, which is likely going to want a new process of too.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    Answer ✓
    The mix of the chipset and the two memory slots limits that motherboard to 8GB. To go higher really takes a motherboard upgrade, which is likely going to want a new process of too.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Krister_Ponnio
    Yeah, I figured. I will take this as the final word for my speculations. Thank you!
  • billsey
    Just re-read my answer, looks like I got auto-corrected there. Processor, not process of. :)
  • Krister_Ponnio
    edited February 2019
    Didn't even notice that! Anyways, the next step should be a total makeover indeed. A 220 PSU, 8 GB RAM limit, 1155 socket in a small case doesn't leave much room for today's new components. Upgraded recently from GT 530 to GT 1030 just as a last ditch, and didn't want to risk to buy a GTX 1050 because of the little power I got left for everything else in the case. It's the all-arounder PC at home which should handle the basic stuff like paying bills etc. plus some light gaming.

But I got my own heavier PC even though most of the parts are from 2013 except the graphic card which is a used GTX 1070 blower style card.
  • billsey
    Yeah, upgrading a bigger box is likely going to be easier. With the smaller one a bigger supply becomes problematic.